Unheated Greenhouse

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Helen
KG Regular

Can anyone tell me what veggy seeds I can sow over the next couple of weeks in a unheated greenhouse?
Sue
KG Regular

Hi - can't wait either then? Have a look at the post below in this section on seed sowing for some ideas.

I do early peas and broad beans towards the end of Jan to plant out later. I'll also be doing spring cabbge and spinich as I missed sowing them last autumn and I've found an late Jan\early Feb sowing gives plants that catch up pretty quick and give a decent crop.

Come mid Feb you can start all sorts of fresh salad stuff to grow on in pots and catch crop in the greenhouse before the tomatoes & summer stuff go in - try lettuce, radish, salad onions...

Sure everyone else will have loads more suggestions.

Sue
Helen
KG Regular

Thanks Sue, I'm suffering from itchy fingers!
nog
KG Regular

Buy some salad potatos from Cohens and chit them in the greenhouse and then plant them in compost bags.
darren c
KG Regular

There is not a great deal you can sow at the moment.Looking at last years diary though i started sowing carrot primo ,radish and spring onion ishikura into my polytunnel border under fleece and into soil which had been covered the previous month with black plastic .All germinated succesfully.I also sowed lettuce little gem into modules and were planted into the tunnel border the first week in march under fleece.All these sowings were on Feb 6th and cropped succesfully .
darren c
KG Regular

Forgot to tell you in last message try insulating your greenhouse with bubble wrap on the inside this definately helps to keep the frost off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic