redcurrant gin?

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pol
KG Regular

I have just enough redcurrants on a new bush to make some redcurrant gin I think. Does anyone know - can I just follow the same method as for sloe gin?

Thanks

Polly
Dancing serves no necessary purpose.
Tigger
KG Regular

I assume so - we make Damson Gin and Plum Gin in the same way. The only rider I would put is you may need more (by weight) redcurrants.
Pol
KG Regular

OK thanks Tigger. Will have a go and let you know the result (eventually!)
Polly
Dancing serves no necessary purpose.
MrsL
KG Regular

Redcurrant vodka might be a better bet; I find their flavour quite subtle, and it might be lost in the gin, unlike sloes, whose taste is qutie strident. Just a thought, but if it''s an alcohol experiment, then anything should be fine! Looking forward to hearing about the results.
Angi
KG Regular

I've just started a batch of blackcurrant liqueur using brandy (recipe from Jane Grigson) and I've just discovered a recipe for currant liqueur using whisky and whitecurrants which may work for redcurrants. I can post the recipes if you want them.
MrsL
KG Regular

I'm trying a blackcurrant and tequila liqueur this year.
Chantal
KG Regular

Post them all! :D :!:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
mrsnesbitt
KG Regular

Rashberry hand vodka hish luvly!
:lol: :lol:
Angi
KG Regular

OK. Blackcurrant liqueur:
Put destalked blackcurrants in a clean kilner jar, add caster sugar to about a third of the way up, then top up with cheap brandy. Put somewhere cool and dark and shake bottle every day for a month, then less frequently for another month. Strain through muslin into clean bottles.

Currant liqueur:
Put 1.5lb destalked whitecurrants, zest of a lemon, 1/2" grated ginger, 1lb caster sugar into a kilner jar and follow instructions above.

I've also just read on another forum that someone uses the strained fruit pulp to make 'liqueur' chocolates. They don't say how, but I guess you just melt the chocolate and cover dollops of fruit.
MrsL
KG Regular

You can do something similar to sloes for sloe gin chocolates - when they come out of the gin,squeeze out the stones and dip the squishy gin-sodden fruit into melted chocolate; leave on greaseproof paper to set, then eat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic