Calabrese (Broccoli Glut)

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandersj89
KG Moderator

Never thought I would say it but I have a calabrese glut and not the normal Courgette glut, though the season is still young on that front! I have grown 2 varieties looking for succession but this strange year has meant the main heads have cropped at the same time, they second cropping should space out a bit more I hope!

Now my kids love the stuff simply steamed and are tucking in and we have a nice recipe involving bacon and bourson (sp) cheese, but I am looking for other new ideas and also ideas that mean we can store the crop until later in the year, some thing that freezes well but I fear that may be a challenge other than soup….

So any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Belinda
KG Regular

Hi Jerry,

Could you give a bit more info on the bacon and boursin with calabrese front - it's about the only cheese that I can manage to eat without being ill and would make a nice adition to my recipe book.
Thanks
sandersj89
KG Moderator

It is very simply, (no quantities as such) cut up decent bacon or pancetta and fry of until crispy. We use 6 rashers for to of us.

Then get some pasta on the go, we use spaghetti, broccoli in a steamer and put the cheese in a sauce pan over a gentle heat to melt. Add a splash of dry white wine to the cheese if it is a little thick.

Pasta in bowls, add broccoli florets, pour over cheesy sauce, sprinkle over crispy bacon bits and serve with parmesan cheese if you like it. Nice bit of black pepper goes well too.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Belinda
KG Regular

Thanks Jerry - sounds delicious :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic