Mutiny in the veg patch

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

I have one runner bean that grew to 4 ft then turned around and twiddled back down the cane. I untwiddled it 3 times and redirected it up the cane. Now it has dried up at its turning point and I am waiting to see what will happen to the growth below. A friend said it must be Australian as they twiddle the other way round down under and the water swirls in the opposite direction to The U.K. going down the plughole. Something to do with gravity and the moon ? Is he pulling my leg ?
sprout
KG Regular

:lol:
On my plot they are all twining anticlockwise - I could have sworn they went clockwise last year! I'm sure there's a grain of strewth in what he says happymouse :wink:
Chantal
KG Regular

He's not pulling your leg as beans do follow the moon, or the tides, or something or other and do all grow anticlockwise. Not sure about your antipodean bean though... are you sure it wasn't still going anti clockwise just upside down, or would that be the same way?
Last edited by Chantal on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Your beans will climb the same direction as the water goes plughole in the bath. In Antipodean climbs it goes the other way. And before anybody starts shouting work it out!
JB.
MrsL
KG Regular

I'm just happy if they climb, don;t really mind which way - will go out in a minut and have a look, though - interesting thread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic