Sorry - yet another carrot question

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

I found a label on one of my carrot containers. I sowed them on 13th March - 4 months ago. They have lovely healthy green leaves but no carrots, not even a hint of orange. Do carrots usually take so long ? They are Early Nantes (late Nantes!) They have been in so long the fleece is falling apart. The ones growing in the ground are just as slow.
Weed
KG Regular

Congratulations....you have done well...Please I am not being cynical ...honest...

I have tried three times to grow carrots this year...three times I haven't seen a bit of greenery at all
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Are you sure there is not root there? I am eating Early Nantes sown later than yours and they are a decent carrot.

Pull back the earth around the carrot tops and have a look see.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

And I thought I was the only one with no carrots this year. I've sown so many times (tried all varieties)I have lost count.
Given up now till next year.

Beryl.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Not too late for a sowing of something like Autumn King, last weekends sowing is just about up. Toying with another row maybe.......

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, if you are sowing your carrots outside, i would say that they probably are germinating, but being eaten by slugs or snails as soon as they come through. If this is not the case you must be doing something drastically wrong. :shock: :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
pillbug
KG Regular

THe first year I grew carrots(3 years ago) I sewed in march cropped mini carrots at Christmas,how they laughed!Last year sand+autumn king=tentative row of good sized carrots.This year(well who wants to be beaten by a vegetable?)early sewings =lots+slugs=0.Later sewings+ash+bran=ok+rain+rain+slug pellets+wild eyed woman at night with tourch and murder in mind=lots of carrots.Have calmed down now but have just sew late carrots.....
P.S.They only scoff this year,so far.
Allan
KG Regular

I have just sown my Autumn King with pelleted seeds. They should just about make it this season.
If you have tops I see no reason for you not to get roots but they seem to come on rather later than you expect.
Autumn sowing is possible in a polytunnel with the right varieties, then generally wait until mid-Feb. Best to go for a variety specifically meant to do such work, all sorts of F1 varieties available if you search e.g Rocket & Primo.
Allan
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks for all the advice.
Slugs and snails I can find no trace of but birds, yes I think maybe they are one of the culprits taking the seeds before they even germinate.
We also have a lot of ants and have watched them helping themselves too. Canny creatures.

Maybe I will try one more time - who knows I might even get a green top this time!!!

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic