Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Been fishing, didn't catch anything, but another step in my recovery, though I have more surgery pending, will be glad when they fix me though.
ImageFly fishing video by tigerburnie, on Flickr
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You will get there, Burnie and your positive attitude will go a long way towards it!

Looks like another beautiful day, awaits us….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I'm wanting it to rain as we forgot to bring a watering can from Kent to Glasgow(ish) and the stuff in the containers needs to be watered before we can plant the seeds. (This is pedantic husband's take on the situation. I would just use a jug of water from the kitchen.)

The removal company have agreed to deliver our furniture and stuff to the new house this morning. So, after a bit of furniture assembly we'll be able to move in. It was all very worrying but amazingly it seems to have worked out well. :D

And I won a fiver on the lottery.
retropants
KG Regular

needs must Stravaig, use the jug :)
Stravaig
KG Regular

Presumably you are a woman. That's why you would suggest such a common sense thing. :D

Anyway the removals company came on time with their big truck and their big-big guys. It took a few hours, and they got a cup of tea and bacon sarnies. They were very good! I'd recommend them.

It's not been an easy move but when you get people like that doing your removals it seems so much better. :D I think we'll go back to the flat tonight and relax, then attack the booach of boxes we have here over the weekend.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Going by the amount of Queen Wasps and Hornets that are flying around looking for suitable nest sites, we are going to be inundated with them this year!

Feels rather hot out there today…..makes your hair rustle like pea straw…..🙂

Myrkk
KG Regular

Ah how lovely Burnie, can’t beat a day on / in the river, fish or no fish. Not managed to get out this year yet as I haven’t sussed the best places in this area. You’re making me want to escape to the river.

Hope you felt a little better for it.

Tight lines
Myrkk
KG Regular

I’m hoping not OH, been chatting to the bumbles as they putter around the garden and don’t mind the wasps and hornets, but not in my garden please.

Reminds me of a time on the allotment. I didn’t realise wasps could be ground nesting and ignored the “flies” batting off me, in hindsight the wasps trying to warn me away. Then all of a sudden fiery pain as they flew up my baggy jumper and stung me all over my abdomen. Needless to say I had to get an exterminator out, not something I’m keen to do, all animals have a place, but the allotment was unusable with them there.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I thought we might be down on bee numbers this year, after the long wet Winter but, seems quite the opposite…. lots of Honey bees about and I can’t remember seeing so many different types of Bumbles about.

Clive.
KG Regular

It's the same with us... The local bee keeper said a few weeks ago that honey stock was starting to build well
The pear blossom was amazing and the apple blossom, still on going, likewise.. The big Newton Wonder trees are currently in full bloom.

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Had to play at being a grown up today with getting some groceries in, but quite nice - well except the bit where they changed the shelf layout, but survived it with under breath cussing. Extra special was one very common shop might have listened to me, & likely others moaning. They only put one box of stuff out on the shelf, but it you asked them they had it 'out back'. Suggested they put them behind the front box on the shelf as we are clever enough to swap them around & not throw the box on the floor & they could get on with their chores without us interrupting.

Will be happier tomorrow on the plot though, but as anticipated this wonderful little hint of summer was just a tease & going to end on Sunday with thunder & lightening & big rain with flood warnings. I think I will stay down longer tomorrow & just finish the weeding & re-sows. I'm so close to having it looking good & the big smiley sun is not appearing for a week at least so time for me to recover so fit to tackle the next weed run. Another positive is we have the best chance to see the Northern Lights ever tonight - left a note for Mr to get out with his camera! I do early but not super early but he's an insomniac!
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

On the way home this evening I spotted a field of barley coming in to ear...

..and the very newly sown Spring cereals are growing at a huge pace, lovely to see after all the patchy mess of the wet Winter sown ones..

C.
Myrkk
KG Regular

A wonderful 40mins or so spent out the back gate in the field watching the aurora weave its merry dance. Less green, more magenta and purple and pink. Wonderful to watch, standing with the dogs, other half and a martini lol.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We have a little village Whatsapp group and some villagers have put some very spectacular pictures on there, of the aurora last night!

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Had a really successful day on the allotments….all the Winter Brassicas pull out and then put Big Bertha to work! Thought she might struggle as the ground seemed very hard on top but, she did me proud again and after just two runs, the soil had broken down to a good friable tilth.
Then had Baby Bertha out, and did three strips ready for planting out a load of plants, for cut flowers….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic