ATCO 8/32E Broken Rear Axle - Help !!

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phade
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can either get a replacement axle or get my current rear axle fixed on my 1981 Atco 8/32E?

It is broken (possibly due to corrosion) just by the spherical bush on one of the axle mounting plates its self. I have tried to weld my axle back together without success so far.

I think my tractor is a 1981 (but not entirely certain), it has a band brake on the rear right hand side and it has a chainwheel next to it. It also has a differential on the rear axle its self.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it :)

Many Thanks,

phade
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
The back axle diff unit on the Atco 8/32 is shown as a Peerless model 171B. It would seem to be the same model quoted on the 1981, 1982/3 and 1984 models.
This type of unit was regularly used on a lot of ride on mowers/tractors...how many variations of the basic diff/axle there are I do not know..
I wonder if the unit has a plate on it with any further model number info.?? should there be detailed differences.
I do not know if individual spares could be obtained or if they are as a unit.

Peerless is a Tecumseh product and would always have been sourced as a Tecumseh/Peerless part rather than an Atco part.

The axle bushes seem to be shown as Atco Part number though...P35345.

Tecumseh/Peerless agents can be found via www.tecumsehuk.co.uk

All the best,
Clive.
phade
KG Regular

Hiya Clive,

I had a look at the differential unit on my tractor this morning and it does have an identification plate on it. It is as follows :-

MOD171B
PEERLESS
0100-4887

I guess from the above that it is indeed a Peerless Model 171B differential unit with a sprocket and band brake. I'll be emailing/phoning Tecumseh UK today (they are based less than a mile away from where I work.

I also had a look at thier price list last night too, but however they do not list the 171B within that price list, so I will be asking them if they can either source one or suggest a suitable alternative.

Anyway thankyour for your help and all the best,

phade
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
Hope you get a good response from Tecumseh... and it doesn't involve too many ££££...

I think the sprocket and brake may be tractor parts rather than coming with axle/diff and would need transfering if a new unit was needed.

All the best,
Clive.
phade
KG Regular

Hiya Clive,

I rang up Tecumseh today and they said that I would have to order an axle from a dealer. However, I had also got an email from the operations director of Tecumseh UK and he said that all I have to do is to send the cheque to him.

The differential unit is cheap too, it's only £55.41 (excluding VAT). Anyway to those of you who need the part number of the Peerless model 171B replacement, it is 794182A.

They should have one in by the end of the month, but I will also see if I can get my old axle arc-welded in the meantime.

Thankyou for your help and all the best,

phade
phade
KG Regular

Hiya Clive,

I have just another question for you, do you know the part number for the plates that go over the spherical bushes on the rear axle.

Many Thanks,

phade
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
The plates for retaining the spherical bush and bolting to chassis are shown as P43987...it gives no clue as to if this was for a pair or for individual items..ie; 4 of for the tractor.

I somehow doubt that these parts will still be available from Atco with the age of the machine... but always check with an agent...because sometimes parts can still be sat there on shelves.

Just before the mower business were I used to work closed, C.15+ years ago, we had a visit from a rep' who spoke of a then new range of tractor mowers that he was about to start purveying...I seem to vaguely remember him saying that they were to be basically the old Atco tractor range but re badged..but I did not take too much notice because I knew our buying pot was empty..!!

The Original Atco tractor range was made in USA for Atco... rather than made by Atco.

I wonder if someone currently in the mower trade could confirm if this re badged range did appear 15 years ago as this may be the key to finding who actuallly made the tractors and give a possible source of parts for future ref'

All the best,
Clive.
phade
KG Regular

Hi eveyrone,

Just to let everyone know that parts for the Atco 8/32E are now practically impossible. I have just rung up Gateshead Mowers who seem to be the sole owner/distributor of obsolete Atco tractor parts.

On the plus side I have also found out that those tractors also appeared undo Alko here in the UK and that the 8/32E was made by Noma in the states (now owned by Murray).

I will let everyone know as soon as I can find out more information about getting parts, etc from here in the UK or from the states.

All the best everyone,

phade
phade
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on my tractor. I got it back together yesterday (new differential, but old bushes at the moment) and it drives ok.

I'm just waiting on a couple of spherical bushes (that my dad ordered for me from a lawnmower repair center in Hailsham, East Sussex). I will let you all know what supplier they came from as soon as I know.

Thankyou everyone for all of your help,

phade :)
phade
KG Regular

Hi eveyrone,

Just a quick update on the parts availability for the Atco 8/32E rear axle. I have now managed to get the spherical bushes and plates for my garden tractor. The part numbers are as follows:-

Spherical Bush (Oregon Tractors 45-096)
Spherical Bush Plate - single (Oregon Tractors 45-187)

I have now done some documentation on the Atco 8/32E garden tractor (in separate files at the moment), so if anyone would like to know more information about it then please email me on [email protected]

I hope this helps everyone who owns an Atco 8/32E garden tractor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic