Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Cider Boys
KG Regular

Lost another of my old apple trees in the recent storm and spent today cutting most of it up. Unfortunately not a lot of fire wood from it since as with old apple trees it was completely hollow in the trunk and main limbs, but the sheep loved the leaves. My Hamlet was cut off due to the floods and you couldn't see where the roads or rhynes were but after the environment agency opened up the sluices at the river it all soon subsided but the fields remain very wet.

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I hate it when you lose an old fruit tree, such a shame.
Still no broad bean sowing then, Barney….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I cut a lot of lawns today, still dark green and growing like mad!

Clive.
KG Regular

I did likewise yesterday afternoon....but today we made it back on to some herbaceous border cutting down and forking.....just don't look at tomorrows forecast....

C.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:07 pm I hate it when you lose an old fruit tree, such a shame.
Still no broad bean sowing then, Barney….
Unfortunately not yet Oldherbaceous, weather was bright and sunny for most of the day with just a couple of rain showers. I spent most of the day still cutting up the apple tree and when carrying some logs back I tripped and fell onto the electric fence which (literally) shocked me up a bit. I do agree that the grass is growing well and my lawns are far too long. I'm now determined to sow some broad beans soon, have you sowed yours yet?

Best wishes

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

I mowed my front garden today as well, but really should not have as it was still pretty damp, but the best window of opportunity I have had for ages & it was too long to dry off quicker without a trim. The ornamental pear tree has, like most fruit trees, had a wonderful year so trimmed down about 1/2 of that to let more light in & avoid the postman having to duck. A bit dodgy trying to saw the thick branches off on a foot stool & then cut them again to fit the rules of the brown bin which I filled. Fortunately it is emptied tomorrow so I can get cracking on the other 1/2 after tomorrows rain is gone. I would love to get rid of it as it blocks a lot of light but is on the house plans from when built, but technically it is on my land roots & trunk. When someone else did this they had a lot of bother when trying to sell as picked up by the buyers solicitor, but there's was a pretty short upright tree with flowers that didn't cover the whole front lawn!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Still no beans in yet, Barney, it started drying a little today, but a very wet morning predicted for tomorrow….hope you are okay, after your fall!

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Frosty here this morning, got the fire lit, it should be dry, so hope to go for a walk later.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Are you still doing your photography, Burnie?
Nice bright day here but, the ground is sodden….

Westi
KG Regular

Just a quickie question! Do you have to wait until the dahlia's get frosted or can you just cut them down even if green? Mine are still flowering but they are not lasting in the vase so pointless cutting them & they all are blown onto an angle & looking raggy. I don't take the tubers up (unless they need thinning), but give them a really deep mulch each year, unintentional raised beds!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The old thinking was always to let them get blackened by the frost, Westi but, I have cut them down the last two years while green and have noticed no difference in flowering the following year, have done the same this year too!

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A sharp frost here this morning, so finally might make the leaves fall..

Primrose
KG Regular

I think this will be the first Remembrance weekend when all the trees around the vicinity of our village war memorial are still in full leaf.

"LEST WE FORGET".
Geoff
KG Regular

Lovely Autumn morning after a bit of a ground frost. I hope the leaves last a bit longer, our valley has been beautiful this year.
Autumn Pan.jpg
Autumn Pan.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 44892 times
Autumn Pan 2.jpg
Autumn Pan 2.jpg (922.72 KiB) Viewed 44892 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:40 pm Are you still doing your photography, Burnie?
Nice bright day here but, the ground is sodden….
I've been out a bit, but quiet after the last storm, still struggling with a kidney infection, but not letting it stop me.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic