Greenhouses

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

OMG, how expensive they’ve become! Went around the local Dobbie’s and nowt much under £2k. Sadly (or not, depending upon how you look at it lol), I’ll need to get one with a low threshold, double door access and plenty of space inside in case I need to use a wheelchair and the only one they had suitable was £5k.

So hive brain, where do you all get your greenhouses from? Any nifty little suppliers out there?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Have a look at Rhino, superb quality and not unreasonable prices when I bought mine
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks Burnie
retropants
KG Regular

I'll ask my folks where they got theirs from, it was under 2K and pretty big, with double doors one end. They had to build it themselves, as assembly was extra! It's very nice though :)
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Myrkk!

It might be worth looking at FB Market place (& other local similar sites), as lots of folk extending their homes are sacrificing their greenhouses. Usually free but you disassemble & remove. If you could round up some mates & give them a meal they would probably help get it back to yours & erect it. You just need lots of pics for reference to rebuild & take a marker pen & have a system to number the panes to their location. I would get new clips at the ready as well.

They do have a small lip though, but just put a timber strip either side of the door entries & mix some quick set concrete (comes in small bags) & fashion a ramp, then remove the timber so the door will close. You will also need to consider raised beds, so to lower their costs start looking in skips & chatting with on site builders who you will find will hide the good stuff. My other half is wheelchair bound & we have found they are amazing even delivering it to the site or home at the finish of their working day. Very happy to receive some beers, crisps & sweets as thanks. Good Luck, I hope you find one!
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks Westi, that’s very helpful.

I hadn’t considered the raised beds so good point! We have some timber raised beds currently but they are really close together and quite low so they will need moving further apart jic.

I do love me a good bargain and there are a few house renovations going on around us currently, so perhaps I need to go have a chat and a rummage :). Can’t believe people would sacrifice growing space / greenhouse, but that’s just me, having lived without growing space at all for the last several years it’s been awful. Perhaps I need plants anonymous lol

I’m still very mobile but have a condition that means that could change within a short period of time and could be either transient or permanent so just trying to cover all the bases as it’s too big an investment to get wrong.
Westi
KG Regular

Someone on one of the FB garden sites found a free greenhouse, when they went to see it, it was a super posh big one with louvres, vents, fancy fret work on the roof, double doors both ends, goodness knows what it cost new. They had the room so said yes immediately & when they went to pick it up it was all taken down & packed into separate boxes for each side & end with little stickers on each piece. Apparently the builders were behind with the extension so they helped the home owners disassemble & box it. Lucky hey?

Myrkk, I hope your condition doesn't deteriorate too soon, it is such a pain in a wheelchair as so many places are still not handicap friendly & accessible & places think they are but gravel paths are hard work transversing, if they just rolled something heavy over it to compress it into the soil it would solve the problem. Hubby went to a near by stately house & gardens & got stuck, rescued by the lady of the house who actually wheeled him around through the gravel. Her end comment was to thank him for coming as they honestly thought they were wheelchair friendly & he will have free admission next year & she will be looking out for him to push around to check the contractors have compressed it enough.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Wow on both counts! Will need to scour eBay and facebook marketplace for a hopeful bargain.

That’s really great, it’s difficult to know the reality and practicality of things when you’re able bodied yourself. Glad she was so lovely.
robo
KG Regular

I have a green house at home and a pollytunel on my plot I prefer the pollytunel by a long mile my green house in winter is running with condensation and always damp except on the hottest days then I have to ventilate my polly on the other hand is always dry the other advantage is you can get double doors on a polly which alleviates the wheel chair problem
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My greenhouse has double doors, the reason I chose glass over plastic is reinforced today, 60-70 mile an hour winds have destroyed some polytunnels nearby.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic