Are you insane?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

I was watching a cooking class with one of the world's top chefs. Can't remember but it was probably Thomas Keller. He said, "Only an insane person would cook scrambled eggs in anything other than a non-stick pan".

You know, I had never thought about it. I'd gone for decades cooking scrambled eggs in a normal pan - and hated the washing up afterwards.

I got a little non-stick pan from Sainsbury's. Oh wow, what a difference. And if I don't have that pan to hand, I just use a frying pan. Most of mine are non-stick.

So, if I may be suggestive towards you (something an Afghan said to me when he simply meant he wanted to suggest something LOL) I will ask if you are insane or if you cook scrambled eggs in a non-stick pan. :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cook said, “always in a non-stick” ….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Confession: I've been known to cook them in a non stick mini saucepan, throw in a little grated cheese and eat straight from the pan when I've been on my own!.
Geoff
KG Regular

You've got to be insane to cook scrambled eggs - waste of good eggs - nearly as bad as hard boiling them.
Primrose
KG Regular

Don't tell us you eat them raw Geoff?!
How do you normally eat yours?
Westi
KG Regular

There is non-stick & non-stick! Most of the black lined ones don't last long before the coating gives up, including the expensive ones! I've found some with a speckled lining which are holding up well to date & were cheaper.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I like liquid eggs; poached, boiled or fried but not raw.
retropants
KG Regular

I love scram eggs! We have one of those speckled non stick pans, I think from Lidl. Nothing sticks, I think it's classed as ceramic.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Maybe a chef bit Geoff when he was a child. Similar happened to me - I was just a little kid and a poodle bit me when I tried to pat it. I've never liked poodles since. Especially the school janitor's one who kept trying to shag my leg.

Geoff, chefs are people too. If it makes it easier for you just think of me as an accountant. (You probably don't like them either.) Well, that's what I was until I retired - and retrained as a chef.

I notice you've still not said what your trade/profession is or was. Do tell. Give us a fair chance to respond to your comments on an equal basis.
Geoff
KG Regular

Not sure my employment record affected my tastes. My first love was chemistry winning lots of school prizes before doing two degrees in chemical engineering. Worked at that briefly before moving into production management mainly in what we used to regard as the largest fire hose factory in the world. When the time came to use computers to help manage production ordering etc. the management decided they wanted someone to implement it that understood how the factory worked rather than computers so I drifted into IT before there was IT. Then computers started to appear on desktops so added looking after those and the networks that connected them together and the telephone system that integrated several sites across the country. That all seems a long time ago as I retired in 2007. Just had nice runny fried eggs with chips.
robo
KG Regular

I prefer poached egg , I use an none stick omelet pan as I don’t like washing up I buy a certain one off Amazon they cost £14 I only use wooden spoons in it as I live on my own it’s easy to control
Stravaig
KG Regular

I like Eggs Benedict but prefer to make it with streaky bacon rather than some kind of ham which is the 'correct' way.

For Eggs Florentine swap out the bacon for quickly cooked spinach (squeeze out excess water)
For Eggs Royale swap out the bacon for smoked salmon or trout

Of course, you can change it, add what you wantand call it what you like. It's basically a toasted crumpet or English muffin. Topped with a poached egg and a hollandaise sauce.

Mexican Eggs

I also made up a version of scrambled eggs, which isn't really Mexican as far as I know.

The ingredients are:
(for two people but you could easily easily half them - for four people you'd probably want to cook in two batches):

a daud of butter
4 eggs (or more or less depending on recipients' appetites), whisk perhaps with a little milk or cream
half a finely chopped red onion
1 medium/large tomato, chopped
some grated cheddar cheese
oregano (I use Mexican oregano but the dried stuff from your local supermarket would be fine)
1 green chilli, finely chopped (or more if you really like spicy or omit if you don't)
a blat of green tabasco (again optional but it gives it a bit more VaVaVoom

I melt the butter in a saucepan, sweat off the onion (fry until translucent without colouring them.) Then I add the tomato. Chuck in the oregano, Tabaso, if using. And next the eggs. Using a fish slice I keep pushing the mix into the centre of the pan, just like making an omelette. Grated cheese and coriander get added last. Season to taste of course. I use sea salt and black ground pepper.

This is a very quick, tasty, and nutritious meal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic