Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

Oh that’s not fair OH. The weather and the wildlife always seem to get the better of our efforts. I have picked and chucked a lot of rotten strawberries today, due to the heavy rain.
Westi
KG Regular

I went down with the plan to water then onto the other chores, but the 'To List' was growing so fast I reversed the process & tackled some chores. I did water but the hose was in use so kinda smugly used the filled trugs I have set up around the plot, way faster to dip & water than stare at the watering can filling! Only did the needy guys as rain predicted on Sunday, not proper rain but I expect the hose tap will be all mine if I consider it not enough! Also a chance to re-fill the trugs & butts. My row is pretty much full of fine weather growers!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

After spending way too long trying to fix the soaker hose in the tunnel I gave up. I once again fought it unwinding the 50 metres of it & shoved the hose through it, no obstructions or debris washed out, no water came out along the hose either except the end few feet. I then tried making more holes with the skinny nail I have but the water just gushed out & flooded the beds, so I had to silicone them up. I just can't figure out how the holes close up but wondered about the heat in the tunnel melting the black inner layer? I will keep it though as also wondering about making holes in it to screw in a connector to a dripper tap.

In the mean time I am going back to the plastic dripper bags on stakes in the tunnel that have 8 drippers off them. I have some extra extensions from other ones I have had which will mean they can reach the whole width of the beds in the tunnel. They are a pain to fill but I have some left over plastic bottles I can slot into the filling hole to help with that. Of course any other suggestions with the hose welcomed!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Well that's tonight's watering sorted.
Screenshot 2023-06-18 214454.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-18 214454.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 18240 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi There,s an awful lot of tiny gritty particles in the air. - the rain contents in our water gauge demonstrate that, especially red Sahara sand recently, so it could be thwt tiny particles of gritty almost invisible to the human eye, are gradually accumulating and blocking your hose holders up. Not sure how these can easily be eliminated from the system.

We only had pathetic drizzle here over the weekend. Not enough to even properly moisten the surface of our patio . Just wondering how long it will be before our water authority announces a hosepipe ban.

And thinking of a water shortage, does anybody know what the minimum daily water requirement is for an individual? (Drinking, cooking, washing, laundry, toilet flushing. . I,d be intrigued (and possibly shocked to know) . If ever we were all forced draw it all from standpipes.
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Read somewhere average consumption per day for an individual is 142 Litres (approx.30 gallons in English).
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
peter
KG Regular

Finally last night we had some decent rain, the terrace plant pot "saucers" were full of water at 8am, looking forward to finally being able to plant out my squash seedling without them shrivelling up.
Allotment hasn't seen any measurable quantity of rain for weeks..... forecast, didn't arrive, happened nearby, but never here.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

We have had plenty rain over the last week the latest was 2 hours yesterday morning , I’ve four large rain barrels all full to the tops ,I’ve a bush which for the last two years has given some great plumbs this year it’s full of cherries I can’t get my head round it
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks like we are in for another scorching, this weekend…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Warming up again, but pleasant day on the plot. Today I finally saw a butterfly, no idea what type kinda down & orange, but apart from a couple of cabbage whites that is it so far this year! He was in the tunnel & went out the vent & flew off.

Still loads of bees & this wee guy popped out to say Hi as well. Didn't hang around to play with him though!
fullsizeoutput_107c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_107c.jpeg (955.27 KiB) Viewed 18043 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder what that caterpillar will turn into….I bet Monika would have known….

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very, very hot here, so sitting in the cosy room, listening to the Ladies cricket….

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The other thing I keep forgetting to mention is, i’ve never seen so many Ladybird larvae about as this year….good job, as we have a lot of blackfly too….

Clive.
KG Regular

Beetroot sandwiches for tea... :)

C.
Clive.
KG Regular

...and stewed Invicta gooseberries for pud..

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic