Fresh Tuna with pasta

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Seems fresh Tuna is in the fish shop/van so thought I would look for a recipe for tuna & pasta bake.

Seems all I can find is for tined tuna.

Anybody have suggestions on how to substitute the tin tuna for fresh?
Westi
KG Regular

Actually now you bring it up I can't recall seeing any recipe for fresh either. You could just slice it finely & just follow the recipe for the tinned, but I think I would be more inclined to cook it separately & add it to the cooked pasta mix at the end so still identifiable as 'fresh'.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hiya, Colin

Wow, fresh tuna. I love the stuff and often buy it.

It's a luxury product and usually has a price tag to match.

Therefore, I would play to its strengths (ie being fresh, as Westi says) rather than putting it in a pasta bake where the tinned stuff would suffice. Think of it as the fish version of (beef) fillet steak. Well, you wouldn't put fillet steak in a pasta bake. (I assume you wouldn't anyway :D )

So, what would I do with it? Actually, I'd probably eat it raw as some kind of sashimi (raw fish dish) but that would be naughty unless it had been sold as sashimi quality. But I am a naughty person and I've survived more dangerous things than eating a bit of raw fish which wasn't certified as being sashimi quality.

If there's any contamination (germs to make you ill), it would be on the outside of the fish so sear (hot, HOT, oil just a flash in the pan) the outside and leave the middle raw or rare. Then you could, for example, use it in a salad nicoise (want a recipe?) or perhaps something Japaneasy (deliberate spelling there).

What species of tuna is it? Skipjack, yellowfin or bluefin. You're unlikely to see bluefin these days as they've been critically endangered for years and it's recommended that one avoids purchasing them.

I can give you a couple of recipe suggestions if you want and if you give me more info about what you like. :D I can try to think about what I would do if someone gave me some pasta and a piece of fresh tuna and told me to cook something.

Good luck! But the main thing is that you should enjoy your luxury product.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both for your ideas.

No idea what type it is just that after visiting local fish shop/van (not supermarket) this was available, thought I had a recipe from last year but could not find it suspect it was probably for the tin stuff.

My thinking is make pasta bake using toms, pepper, spring onions (home grown) & mozzarella with maybe cheder as well.

I'll fry the Tuna gently in oil as suggested and serve with the pasta.

Any suggestions on spices to add to tuna?
Westi
KG Regular

I think I would pimp the pasta sauce side rather than the fish. It would keep the fish flavour intact but taking up some pasta sauce with each slice you eat will give you the kick of spices. You could add a touch of chilli, garlic, oregano (or all 3), or just a good pinch of mixed herbs.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Don't fry it gently in oil.

Blast it in very hot oil to sear it on both sides, and leave it quite raw in the middle.

I wish I lived next door to you (you'd probably hate that) I'd be there doing it how it should be did. :lol:
Stravaig
KG Regular

You don't really want spices. Yeah you could but I don't see any reason why, You could use this, that or the next thing. Yawn.

The only thing that I might add to the wonderful fresh tuna might be a bit of exciting finishing salt such as... nah, unlikely you'll have that in your cupboard... try Maldon salt on it. If you don't already have Maldon then run out and buy some! It'll make you seem like a chef without having to go through the abuse and all the sh!t that wannabe chefs have to face. Trust me. Maldon salt is your friend.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both again for you ideas.

I will check out Maldon salt could be a replacement for current sea salt.

Will defiantly be adding chilli, garlic, oregano to the pasta.
Stravaig
KG Regular

If you're already using sea salt there's no need to rush out and buy Maldon. :D

Yeah, chilli, garlic and oregano sounds great for your pasta dish. Why not make that your main course and serve the fresh tuna as a starter?
Colin2016
KG Regular

Cooke it last night and understand why there are no recipes for Fresh tuna pasta.

Could of had the tuna on it own and as well as the pasta separate, far to ambitious to have them both together.

Took both of you suggestions which worked a treat...Thank you both again for your help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic