Will my weeds die in winter!

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MR.SORRELL
KG Regular

Hello,

My allotment was cleared a couple of years ago by hard labour with fork and spade. The topsoil was removed regardless.

Now my battle is with weeds which are undoing my hard work and I fear my allotment could be lost.

Please answer my naive general question of will my weeds all die back in winter as a rule of thumb.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Fortunately some might but unfortunately some if not not most won't. If it were me I would spray with Glyphosate on a sunny day and again early next spring but many choose alternative (commendable) methods.

Weeds are a nuisance and have got the better of me this summer (due to a period of bad back pain) but I'm happy to use a chemical aid.

Barney
robo
KG Regular

Why did you remove the top soil ,I agree with cider boys some will some won’t ,welcome by the way don’t be afraid of asking questions
Colin2016
KG Regular

I would cover in cardboard with compost on top.

Or

When the small ones appear hoe them off on a sunny day and pull the large ones up and compost them ( assuming you have a hot compost system)
MR.SORRELL
KG Regular

The allotment was 4ft high country grass when I started, so not being a fan of raised beds I dug most of the foot thick turf away to get to the bare ground beneath. It was the only practicable solution.
snapdragon
KG Regular

I'm not a pro regarding this question. However, I don't think it was necessary to take away topsoil. Maybe I missed something :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic