Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Where does all the time go? I was wiped out on Friday by fourth COVID jab on Thursday, strange because I had little reaction to the other three, so yesterday I tried catch up.
Despite mixing six batches of home made potting compost all I had to show for it was just over 200 seedlings pricked out, about 50 cuttings potted on and 10 lots of seeds sown. Doesn’t help that it is what I call the ‘Star Trek’ time of year – “Space, The Final Frontier”. Much of the time seems to be spent juggling thinks around to fit them in the protected spaces. Aiming for a stock check today to see if I’ve got enough plants for all the containers and beds and for the various people who have plants off me.
There was some veg work amongst it all. Sowing Purple Sprouting, hope it does as well as this year still eating lots, more Peas in rootrainers, potted on a Cucumber and 10 Tomatillos.
Primrose
KG Regular

Geoff - you have my sympathy. My 4th Covid jab knocked me out too- maybe just a month after having Covid the antibodies were having a field day! Sometimes seeds just don't seem to like a certain batch of compost for some reason and stubbornly refuse to thrive.
Last edited by Primrose on Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Had no problem with my 4th jab. Must be the breeding. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Trust you to be awkward, Shallot Man…. :) sorry to hear you others have been rough.

I’ve just spent nearly 2 hours moving stuff from cold frames to outside, from the unheated glasshouse to the frames and from the heated glasshouse to the unheated glasshouse….I will still have to put fleece over the outside stuff, looking at the cold night temperatures they are predicting…..and as for this cold wind we have got for the next 10 days…
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Weather forecast mentions the chance of a few last Frost's.
Monika
KG Regular

We had frost the night before last and a bit more is 'promised ' for the next two nights before the wind turns west, at last. But still no rain!!! The blackbirds, now feeding their young who are hiding under shrubs, are desperately digging for worms and bugs on the vegetable beds and thus half digging up the peas, broad beans, shallots and garlic where I have been watering. At least all the brassicas are under a large net tunnel, so they can't get at them.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just looked on the forum and what a wonderful surprise….welcome back Monika….that’s made my evening…. :)

retropants
KG Regular

Hi Monika! Great to hear from you. I've got the bloomin' fox digging for worms amongst my garlic. He/she upended a few on Tuesday night, I've replanted, but they are not looking good. I'm so cross, he's/she's destroying my garden and patio. Muddying and sleeping on freshly laundered garden furniture, found smashed eggs on the patio this morning, don't even know where they've got eggs from, chicken ones. Randomly dug up pots, compost everywhere. The high frequency alarm thingy doesn't seem to be working at all. And the smell. Ugh.
Geoff
KG Regular

Welcome back Monika but you needn't have come back swearing, the 'F' word has no place on here! It just held off for a few days when the plums and damsons were flowering and they look to have set properly for the first time for a few years, I don't know if the little green dots fall off in frost though it was only -0.5 last night. The pears are full out so they might have suffered. At least it looks like I won't have to sheet over the potatoes for the next few nights.
Monika
KG Regular

Frosty morning here too, Geoff. Luckily, I had earthed up the potatoes (growing in pots) and taken anything else touchy into the greenhouse overnight.
robo
KG Regular

I got a phone call from the nurse at my doctor’s surgery she wants me to go for a scan she said something has shown up in my blood test which means my liver is I didn’t catch the rest it was followed by do you smoke or drink I said no I do have a tipple now and again the last one was at Easter she said she would send off for an appointment followed by the scan is just like a pregnant woman has where they put a cream on your skin she then said are you ok I said yes no problem before I had chance to ask a question she was gone the only blood tests I remember were over 2 months ago
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It seems to be getting more and more like that, Robo….the trouble is, they seem to be under constant pressure….hope everything works out okay for you!

Monika
KG Regular

All the best, Robo!
Westi
KG Regular

I feel I am catching up on the plot. Thanks to the decorator being here for the last 2 weeks & my generous gesture of taking the dogs down to keep them out of the way was both practical & beneficial. Mind there were days that were very unproductive when the mutts were trying to help me, especially in the tunnel.

My back has been complaining big time with the daily visits, so a rest now - until the plumber is available!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Retropants, that sounds horrible. Here I am complaining about pesky blackbirds but that's nothing compared to your fox problem. Have you tried Renardene, an evil smelling liquid which is said to deter foxes? Or perhaps it's no longer available?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic