Broad beans - black fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

I know b. beans are susceptible, but this is the first year mine have succumbed. There are loads of ladybirds on them, tho. Should I just let the l.birds get on with it? Is it worth pinching out my remaining plants? What should I do with affected plants???? They look quite healthy despite the infestation.
Jude
KG Regular

I'd leave the ladies to it and pinch out the tips as well, not much else you could do really, I s'pose, without harming the ladybirds and we need all we can get of them. I've had lots more than usual this year and they've sorted out a climbing rose that was badly affected by greenfly, am so pleased that I managed to keep my insecticide spray trigger finger tied behind my back for as long as it took, I'm not normally the patient type, but it paid off!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
sprout
KG Regular

mazmezroz
KG Regular

good news is some plants seem to be relatively clear now, ladybirds having done their job. However, some plants look positively ravaged by the blackfly. Are they wasted now?

(Had some young pods today steamed whole yum yum)
Wellie
KG Regular

I reckon the blackfly are REALLY bad this year, if that helps make you feel any better (!)

NEVER before have my Bored Beans succumbed, whereas THIS year, it's a positive onslaught, and they don't even seem phased by a spray or six of soapy water!

I spotted 3 Ladybirds on the crop and decided it would take them til Christmas to eat that many blackfly, so carefully removed the Ladybirds to the blackfly-infested Nasturtium/Strawberry baskets, and sprayed the Bored Beans with a vengence. That was the other day. I had to do the same again today, and I'm exhausted now....!

Tomorrow I'm going to have to net the bed against Jays as they're taking rather too keen an interest now for me 'not to'.

Good Luck with yours,
Wellie
Tigger
KG Regular

Isn't that interesting? I ususally see lots of blackfly in my veg plot but there's no sign of the varmints this year. My first sowings of broad bean are now at cropping stage and have had no protection at all. Second plantings (equally unprotected) are making strong plants and the third bed (as per others) are just coming into flower.

Maybe they've just avoided Shropshire?!

Yippeeee!!!
peat
KG Regular

It's the same with me. Haven't seen a blackfly at all this year. There are a few ladybirds around so I hope they are finding food.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Compo
KG Regular

Mine are infested, someone told me it was because I planted the winter crop late, i'e December instead of November, not sure how this affects the price of fish!! But will plant earlier this year.......we live and learn. The late crop planted in February seem to be ok. But have pinched out the tops to be safe.

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Johnboy
KG Regular

When I read Tiggers posting about not having BF in Shropshire and be as I live in Herefordshire but have a Shropshire post code I thought it covered me as well and today I have been to a part of the plot not that often visited and nothing on any vegetables but there are some Dock and they are absolutely smoothered. I was going to strim that part and have decided to leave well alone for the time being.
They are fortunately about 100 yards from my Vegetables so may escape any attack this year.
JB.
seedling
KG Regular

I had one plant(over wintered) which was covered in blackfly. I pulled the whole thing out and threw it in the bin. The others seem to have escaped (touch wood). My spring grown beans seem fine at the moment.
Seedling
Wellie
KG Regular

I did a quick inspection again today, and there are STILL 'active' blackfly, even after yesterday's bubble bath.....

Compo, I tried Aquadulce, autumn sown two years running. Each time they've got black-leg and rotted off, so I raised spring variety (Longpod or Bunyards, not sure which, BAD girl...!) in pots in the g.u.g.greenhouse and planted out under cloches February-ish. Having reached five feet tall before I pinched the tops out, becauses the flowers weren't quite setting yet, I think I should have pinched out earlier, no? I read today that you should pinch when four 'trusses' of beans have formed up the stem, whereas I've probably got about nine !!!
should I of done it much earlier JB ??
Perhaps that's why there's so much blackfly....

Wellie
X
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
MarkP
KG Regular

Thought this might be of interest.. ladybird lava spotted on my leaf beet yesterday. Good year for ladybirds up here in Yorkshire

Mark
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic