Mayonnaise

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandersj89
KG Moderator

Seeing as we have our own hens I thought I would try to make my own mayo.

This recipe was recommended to me:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/saladre ... lcon64.htm

What I have ended up with is a lovely yellow mayo but all it tastes of is salt. I did not get any where near adding all the oil as it would be thin as a thin thing at a thinness convention if I did!

We do not own a food processor so did all by hand, no splitting at least.

Has anyone got a fool proof way of home made mayo by hand?

Thanks

Jerry
(Aching arm)
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Anonymous

I've got an absolutely foolproof recipe for mayonnaise, the only trouble is you need a stick blender, such as a Bamix.

You break an egg, which is at room temperature (and this is very important. If it's straight out of the fridge in won't work) into the goblet, add half a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of dry mustard powder, a teaspoon of white wine vinegar and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Then add 300mls of groundnut oil. Put the blender disc on the Bamix, put the 'stick' to the bottom of the mixture. Blend on high for about 12 seconds, then gradually lift the 'stick' up and down. Voila, perfect mayonnaise in seconds.

I must admit, it's a bit difficult to justify spending c. £100 on an item of kitchen equipment just to make mayonnaise. The up-side is that it does have a lot of other uses. For example, it you are making soup that needs whazzing in the food processor, with the chopper blade you can leave the mix in the container you have cooked it in, and whazz it in situ. Saves on the washing up!

I would recommend a Bamix (and no, I don't have shares in the company).

Kitchen equipment shops are my (in later life) 'toy shops'. Yes, I've got lots of things, that seemed 'a good idea at the time' to buy, but are gathering dust in the back of the cupboard, but food processor/stick blender. I think the stick blender would probably be the better buy.

I think you've got more replies on the other site you posted this question!

valmarg
guest gilly

Try adding the rest of the oil strangely it actually thigkens the more oil you add and if you want it thinner use some cream or creme fraiche to thin just small amounts ie for coleslaw good luck
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Valarie

I do have a braun stick blender so will give it a whirl!

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Anonymous

Another sauce you could try, using eggs, is the rich relation Hollandaise sauce. It's a bit more complicated, but it uses melted butter instead of oil. We use it like a dip for asparagus spears, amongst other things.

valmarg
Franksmum
KG Regular

I use two egg yolks, some salt, some pepper, juice of half a lemon and then whisk hard (or cheat using an electric whisk) and add olive oil one tiny drop at a time at first, then you can increase the amount.
Cover it with clingfilm and it lasts for about a week - can't beat it. You can flavour the basic mayo with different oils - chilli oil is delicious but be cautious with the quantities as it can be fiery! Add finely chopped herbs eg dill or tarragon to the basic mixture too if you like.

You can use wine vinegar instead of lemon juice but it's personal taste (I loathe vinegar and pickles)
ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE ROOM TEMP!!

You could be adventurous and try making it in a jar, shaking hard with each drop of oil maybe - don't know if it would work but I've seen it done with hollandaise.

Be interested to know how you get on!

PS since I started making 'proper' mayo I haven't and can't eat normal shop bought stuff.
Diva
KG Regular

I recently bought a hand blender thingy and there's a really easy mayonnaise recipe in the instruction manual.

200mls oil ( i use sunflower oil for a lighter taste. Olive oil makes it yellow and gives a bit of a 'tang' to it that I don't like)
1 egg
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste (start off with just a pinch. you can always add more later.)

Put the whole lot into a cleaned jar. stick in the hand blender and switch on. 20 seconds later I have a jar of mayonnaise! You can then add other flavours as you like them. Stir in a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard for mustard mayonnaise (tablespoon of honey with it for honey and mustard mayo yummmmm). Extra lemon juice for lemon mayo etc etc.
Diva

I think, therefore I am.
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic