slugs make me mad

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

beth
KG Regular

seeing the copper idea about slugs gave me a thought, would copper coins be as effective as the rather expensive copper rings ive seen sold, im gona give it a try and let you know........
Carole B.
KG Regular

I don't think copper coins are actually copper any more,Beth,I believe they are an alloy of some sort.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

beth, i suppose this idea could work, when the children come round pinching the money, they will tread on the slugs and snails. It will be like slug pellets though you will have to put some more out every so often. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Apparently the 2p coin has copper in it. On the news the other day it was said that the coin is actually worth 3p as the price of copper has risen.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
richard p
KG Regular

as i understand it the coins issued before 92 were all copper. then they changed to a sleel base with an alloy coating, my father has been sorting his jar of change with a magnet :shock: apparently he used a half penny as a copper washer to repair something sometime last century :D
Compo
KG Regular

Has anyone had any success with copper? What would be a cheap alternative?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
fen not fen
KG Regular

I have stripped old electric flex and used the copper round individual plants and is has worked. However all metals have the small electrical charge the slugs dislike, although copper is the better conductor. I had great success growing hostas in old galvanised buckets, although I did spend a lot of time watering them!
Allan
KG Regular

I am giving galvanized quarter-inch hole mesh from pet supplier all round a large bed a try as zinc is reputed to be as effective as copper and a fraction of the price.
Allan
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

I have stripped copper wire round my small beds and the strawberries have a galvanised wire cage over them too, not even a hint of slugs yet - if one got in I'm not sure how to get it out !
Will be stripping more cable soon !
Rubberman
KG Regular

Would it be more effective wired up to a battery?

Just imagine, strolling through the garden in the early morning, the aroma of freshly fried slug in the air...

Being nice is all very well, but it doesn't extend to gastropods!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Mac McDonald- O.R.G.
KG Regular

Before we went to chickens for slug control, we used to put a pie tin of beer in the garden. Both snails and slugs like people, seem to like the aroma. They climb in and drown. If you can stand the sound of screaming slugs you might want to give it a try.
God invented the gopher & the 22cal rifle on the same day!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic