Home made bone meal!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Wolf
KG Regular

Does anyone know if I can use the bones of chickens, rabbits etc for bone meal, and if so how do I do it? It sounds odd I know, but bones are about the only food-stuff that get's thrown away in our house, the rest is eaten by us, or the dogs or shoved on the compost heap. :) The bones are the only thing I can't find a use for and I will NOT be defeated! :D
Cheers,
Wolf.
Lyn
KG Regular

I remember reading an article (can't remember where or when, though) featuring Bob Flowerdew using bones which he burnt to produce a high phosphate (I think) plant fertiliser. Maybe someone else can be a bit more specific on this.
Regards, Lyn
Geoff
KG Regular

Just grind them in your teeth and spit them out. Do you find paws easy to type with?
Mr Potato Head

I think bonemeal is one of those things that's the by-product of another industry (glue-making?)

However, you could use a heavy-duty chipper or something... perhaps. I'd guess it'd have to be ground up pretty small for it to mix into your soil and have any beneficial effect... but that's a guess.
peter
KG Regular

I think bone may be too hard for a shredder :( , bit too much like stone. Wood remember is fibrous.

Probably better to burn them in a wood fire. :D
Perhaps save for a while in a fox-proof container where the ants can clean them and then when you have a good load, have a proper wood fire in the open and when the first load becomes a barbeque, add the bones and cover with a fresh layer of wood, repeat the fresh layer until the bones are no longer visible amoungst the coals.
Hopefully whats left will be wood plus bone ash. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic