Rhubarb Leaves - can an organic pesticide be made from them?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beccy
KG Regular

I have no idea where I read this, but I think that if you have a lot of vitamin C at the same time the 'locking up' of minerals that oxalic acid causes is ameliorated. The unidentified source recommended drinking orange juice with any meal containing spinach, but there are plenty of other good sources, such as potatoes. Now given that you, Chez and Johnboy, eat your own really fresh vegetables which will be high in vitamin C and that you have rich and varied diets from all of those vegetables I don't think the amount of minerals you are deprived of by the oxalic acid will cause you problems. :D
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Beccy,
If you go to the website that I mention previously and you scroll down the page it gives you the chemical breakdown of Spinach.
As I say I think the hazard warning at the begining of the site is over the top as later on they say that because of the other goodies also in Spinach
outweigh the the side affects of the Oxalic Acid.
www.pfaf.org/database/plants
takes you to a place where you can use a search of all manner of plants.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

You should be aware of the following, although I doubt if anyone would monitor what you are doing.
Just be careful.
I believe bicarbonate of soda is OK as a fungicide as it is an approved food ingredient. Why beer isn't allowed beats me.
Allan
Control of Pesticides Regulations. (1986) (COPR) and the Plant Protection Products Regulations (1995)
Suppliers and sales outlets must:
• ONLY SELL APPROVED PESTICIDES. Only approved pesticides may be recommended for the control of
pests. Beer, methylated spirit, salt, soapy water, boiled up cigarette ends(!) and other home made
concoctions used in the past by gardeners are not approved pesticides
Chez
KG Regular

Good link Johnboy. Interesting that the toxicity of rhubarb may be due to glycosides and not oxalic acid. That makes perfect sense to me, as oxalic acid itself has not been described as toxic. Otherwise spinach would be such - not just a quantity caution. As also stated by Beccy, it is the mineral 'locking-up' that is the issue. I hope I have got my oxalic acid levels well-ameliorated!

After all that, we essentially have a rhubarb hedge so I might just have a go with it on the roses (the veg are mostly covered by marigold plantings). Especially with Vivie Veg's reassurance it won't ruin the pan!
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic