Seed Guardians.......

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

I'm a Seed Guardian and have just received my chosen seeds - Dwarf French Bean called Parfree's Dragon Tongue". Are there any more of us out there?

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/seed-guardians
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm not, Diane, but what you are doing sounds interesting....maybe you could let us all know a little bit more about it.....and then i saw the link....so i will read it :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been a member of garden organic and the Heritage Seed Library for years but haven't been a seed guardian. I suppose I should but like to grow lots of different varieties so would probably have trouble keeping a single variety isolated. I know all their pollination needs are different and some are easier to keep pure than others. Perhaps I'm being lazy but am struggling to look after things at the moment anyway. I do like trying the free seeds we're allowed to choose each year though.
Westi
KG Regular

I've not heard of it but a great idea. Unfortunately I am not disciplined enough to sign up & protect any plant! Well done Diane - I am looking forward to hearing your progress.
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Not all the plants are cross pollinated. I've chosen French beans as they are self fertile. There is a vague possibility that cross pollination could occur by insects but this is not usual. However, I grow the dwarf french beans in containers at the side of the house right away from the raised bed. If anyone is interested, the Seed Guardian list shows which plants self pollinate and which cross pollinate. Also, if you have a failure in the crop, no one comes round to flaggelate you (unless you want them to of course!).
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Some of my climbing french beans have crossed Diane but most of them stay the same. The Major Cook's has crossed with the Cosse Violette, but the Poletzshka, Mr Fearn's purple flowered and the Cherokee Trail of Tears haven't and I've been growing them for years - all from the Heritage Seed Library. I like to try something a bit different from them each year and have enjoyed quite a few of them. I got a really nice salad tomato one year called Kennilworth King George and always keep a few seeds of it, also their tall pea Robinson is sweet and prolific so I keep seeds from that to re-sow. So I am doing a bit towards keeping these varieties going .
Diane
KG Regular

I just love the Heritage seed library.
robo
KG Regular

I'm the same as westi ,just to much going on in life to be organized enough
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic