Rats again

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Westi, he's tall and lean and athletic but I think it's only young ones he's catching. I just hope he doesn't make himself I'll. He goes off his food for a couple of days when he's been hunting, I hope it's because he's digesting the fur, feathers and other difficult bits.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP!

Maybe give him a wee bit of butter of fat on his dinner, (if he's got room for any dinner after the feast)! That will help any of the gross fur & tail bits pass without mishap. Certainly wouldn't want a vets bill!
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Seems odd that I have less rat problems that you-all, and I have a huge hay barn next door. When I empty the log store I always find nests though they are mouse nests I think, presumably the rat digs the tunnels in the banks.

I have a food waste and composting bin, yes, rats are tunnelling up to get at the food waste though I find that a benefit as long as they don't become a nuisance.

Usually twice a year I put TomCat blocks out in the wood stores and near the bird feeders, I know they are working because a second one is never eaten so maybe country rats have yet to become immune and yet to become a nuisance in my case.

The mole man who is also one of our areas licensed pest controller has just been on a course to get a license to use a particular poison on rats so rats are a problem in some areas around the county. What he says about the poison he uses is that it's so lethal the rat doesn't even need to eat it, just touch by sniffing is enough. It's worth calling him just to listen to his stories, this bloke is an absolute countryman. His day job is milking, when the milking is done he's out controlling the fox, rats, mice, moles, squirrels and though he doesn't admit I bet he gets involved in badger control.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic