Peach leaf curl

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KMARKSnr
KG Regular

A new tree from a major supplier is full of peach leaf curl.I have treated (just)with dithene but believe it`s the wrong time of the year?

Any advice please?
Regards,
Mark.
I`m not "young enough"to know everything!
Chez
KG Regular

Hello KMark - Not sure if this is entirely helpful. Taken from the D.G. Hessayon's, The Fruit Expert.
'The fungus overwinters in the bark and between bud scales, not on fallen leaves. Spray with Dithane in mid-February, 14 days later and again just before leaf fall.'

I have little experience with peaches, but with an orchard now as part of our responsibility, we are learning quickly. I am sure someone with more practical knowledge will be along to shed further light for you though.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Mark, first of all i think i would get in touch with the supplier and ask why a new tree should be full of peach leaf curl, as the spores over winter in crevices in the bark and among the bud scales. The germinating spores then enter the buds.
It is to late to prevent it, as you should spray with bordeaux mixture in jan or feb repeat in 10 to 14 days, and also spraying just before leaf fall helps.
You can help now by removing the infected leaves before they get covered in a pale bloom of fugus spores.
If the tree is grown against a wall, a permanent glass or plastic roof constuction can reduce if not stop the symptoms.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Allan
KG Regular

Correct, if it is kept dry by the roof during the winter there should be an insignificant amount of curl which can be hand-cleared therefore no need to spray.We manage ours that way.
Allan
KMARKSnr
KG Regular

Thankyou very much for such good advice everyone,- it will be used,and a roof of excess polytunnel sheet will go above it,and i will treat again just before autumn fall.
I actually did complain to the supplier T/Morgan,but still wait for an answer,(only complained this morning),so i will give them time.
I will also keep the readers informed of Thompson/Morgan`s customer services reply. :roll:
Again thankyou,
Regards,
Mark.
I`m not "young enough"to know everything!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic