Organic Bug Spray

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Glory B
KG Regular

Hi to all...here's a bug spray recipe that should help to make your plants insect-free. Easy to make and easy to use, and improves with age because it gets more potent the longer it stands.

To a pint of water add:-

1 teaspoon Tabasco
2 large crushed garlic cloves
Combine ingredients in a container with a spray nozzle.
For a serious bug problem add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Good luck
Glory B
Chantal
KG Regular

That's got to be better than a distillation of old fag ends! :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
That depends if you want an exercise in futility or something to get rid of bugs. I am not saying that Glory B's method doesn't work but for how long might it work. Very open to question. I'm tempted to say suck it and see but I want to see you at Malvern tomorrow!
Glory B this is purely a tounge in cheek comment :lol:
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm trying not to be sick when making and using the stuff JB. Second hand smoke makes me heave and as for ashtrays... :shock:

As for tomorrow, you bet you'll see me and I'll give you a call when we get there to find you. :D
Chantal

Glory B
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy....surely my recipe has gotta be easier on the lungs!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Glory B,
Certainly if it actually works. But what I said was that it was a tounge in cheek comment. I do use Nicotine wizely and I buy it in as a spray. I regret to say that I am a smoker and I do keep my fag-ends and once a year I do have a boil up. But only once a year.
There is a great difference between controlling Flea Beetle and merely warding them off so that when the effect of your preperation has worn off they are back with a vengence. That quite frankly solves nothing and your crop is still ruined.
Oriental vegetables seem to act like a magnet to Flea Beetles and seeing that China has a vast population so they either eat damaged crops or they have a very effective way to control them. I very much doubt that they are as Organic as some are trying to be here.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

JB, can I make this stuff using new tobacco? It seems a lot manageable for me as I do draw the line at collecting fag ends with other peoples spit all over them. I don't mind spending a few quid on some Golden Virginia if that will work.
Chantal

seedling
KG Regular

Hi Chantal. I`ve found a packet of tobacco for you - butt and spit free. I`ll bring it to Malvern tomorrow. Seedling
KMARKSnr
KG Regular

old fag ends work a treat for my crops.Listen to Johnboy,- he is correct.
I`m not "young enough"to know everything!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic