black fruitlets on pears.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I have 2 Williams Pears. The blossom was fantastic this year and loads of fruitlets have set. Now however many of them are turning black and rotting. I can't see any bugs inside.

Any ideas what can be causing this and what can I do to prevent it happening again next year.

Thanks
Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Beryl it sounds like pear midge [contarinia pyrivora] to me. There should be orange-white maggots inside the fruitlets though and the fruitlets should be dropping off.
If you do find any maggots and there aren't to many black fruitlets, you could pick them off and dispose of them.
The pear midge lays its eggs in the unopened flower buds. The fruilets swell, then fall off with the maggots inside, the maggots then go into the soil to pupate.
You can spay at the white bud stage to give some protection, but that would be a job for next year.
I not sure what spray you would use, as i'm not a spray person.
One more thing, if the fruitlets have fell off and there are no maggots inside, they will be hollow .

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Many thanks for your advice Herbaceous. I will have another look. The fruitlets so far have not dropped off but when I take them off they are completely black inside and all squashy and yuky almost liquid. No sign of any bugs that I can see.
I will remove all of them and try not to let any fall and hopefully break the cyle.
I don't use any sprays so wouldn't have a clue which one to buy.

Thanks again.
Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic