Mid-winter Bits and Bobs - 2016/17

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Frost here too, but lovely and sunny, have been barrowing manure, so just popped back for coffee...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Damp ,overcast and miserable here and forecast for the next few days
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Looks like another frost for us tonight, so I've not potted on the leeks and Onions just yet, still their modules. Once we get a warmer spell I'll get those out of the heated propagator, harden them in an un heated propagator and then I can plant Chillies and Peppers in the heated one.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

The overwintering shallots, garlic and red onion which were planted outside in October are doing fine and I have just planted those from the greenhouse outside as well because they were doing too well in the unheated greenhouse. No other sowings or plantings planned at the moment. I might sow a few leeks soon for an early harvest at home but the bulk, for the allotment, won't go in until the end of February. And certainly no sowing of anything that needs a lot of warmth!
robo
KG Regular

I can't help feeling winter is still to come ,I won't be planting anything more for a while the garlic and onions are doing ok even the rhubarb has stalks around six inches long on one but not forced
Westi
KG Regular

Peter that is a lovely picture! Wonder how grand it would be to look out on the view at the top of the Shard?

Frost here until about 10am but then sunshine, which had a bit of warmth in it as well. Still clear outside tonight so a repeat performance tomorrow I expect!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Peter that is a lovely picture! Wonder how grand it would be to look out on the view at the top of the Shard?

Frost here until about 10am but then sunshine, which had a bit of warmth in it as well. Still clear outside tonight so a repeat performance tomorrow I expect!

Westi, this morning was different, but just as spectacular.

The centre of the wider (panoramic) picture is central London, the sun is above Greenwich / Docklands and the GPO Tower is dead centre of the gasometer.

FB_IMG_1484862415922.jpg
FB_IMG_1484862415922.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Attachments
FB_IMG_1484862379577.jpg
FB_IMG_1484862379577.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Same sunrise, courtesy of @BillyBeefeater one of the staff at Tower of London.

IMG_20170119_215825.jpg
IMG_20170119_215825.jpg (482.25 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Another case where a like button of some description would be useful

Re the post above, not often you see gasometers these days. There used to be one west of London which had markings on it to let pilots know which direction was Northolt Airfield and which was Heathrow

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's been dull and mild is here but the sun has just come out. Two tawny owls in the tree when I went to let the hens out this morning and the fist Redpoll on the feeders.

I've just been heckling the radio listening to a load of morons whingeing about not having any courgettes for their spiralizers. If they grew them they wouldn't want to see another courgette until they were in season again in the summer☺
peter
KG Regular

Billy Cononley described his radio as a wee furry thing covered in porridge!
Eating breakfast and disagreeing with what was being said. :twisted:

Westi
KG Regular

Wow Peter - that Tower of London one is spectacular as well!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Nothing to do with gardening, apart from seeing Jack and the Beanstalk, but it made me wonder about the word trump. The giant was called Giant Trump and was accompanied by a loud farting sound every time he came on. My partner is from London and didn't know it was another word for fart. Is this just a Yorkshire thing, or is it common in other parts of the country? Another thought, would he have got as many votes if the Americans knew they were voting for President Fart?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Plum :o
Your husband must come from a select part of London.
The use of the word trump in that context was, and still is, commonly used down south.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was talking to a really nice garden centre owner today, and he was saying to get any seed potatoes early this year, as they will be in short supply. It's meant to be down to Scotland selling a lot of the seed crop to Europe this year......it will be interesting to see if he is right!!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic