Black blotches (tomato leaves)

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Glory B
KG Regular

There are small black blotches on the leaves of couple of tom plants. These particular ones aren't in their growing position yet.
They were pretty weak when I received them, and so were potted up into 3" pots until their roots got stronger, (which they now have) and now it's the leaves that are the problem.
Can anyone identify the problem and what I can do to get rid?

Thanks,
Glory B
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good evening Glory B, I'm not sure about this one at all. It could be something called glasshouse streak, but the blotches are normally dark brown and not black, you should also find it on the stems. Plants that have been stressed can suffer from this.
If your plants are growing strongly, but still getting the blotches on the new foliage i would be very tempted to launch them.
Hope this helps.
Glory B, whenever i see your name on the screen, i always start whistling hymns, silly aren't i. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Glory B
KG Regular

You really surprised me when you said you had no idea what my black blotches could be.....so, I looked on the net.
I finally came across a very interesting site for tomato disorders
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/ and think it could very well be Bacterial Speck. (dark brown?)
It advises the use of a copper spray whatever that is!

Now do tell me Old H when you say to 'launch' these toms of mine, do you mean as 'into space' like a rocket?
Launch= to hurl or thrust into the air? (into a brick wall I think would be more appropriate)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice regarding the copper spray.

Warm regards.......
Gloria in excelsis deo :lol:
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Copper spray is Bordeaux Solution, you can find it in most garden centres and is sold under the Vitax label I believe.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good on you Glory B, now that has really put a big grin on my face. :D
Jerry is quite right about the spray, it's the same as for treating blight.
But i don't now if it would be worth spending that much money on a few plants.
Here it comes, it might pay to launch them in any way you feel appropriate. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

It will either rain or get dark.
Glory B
KG Regular

Thanks for info Jerry....shall make a note of that for the future.....but I think Old H is right regarding these particular plants......
The brick wall it is!! :P

Glory B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic