Roquito chilli pepper pearls - ?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Good Afternoon all,

Hope you're all doing well and your plants are doing well? I'm at the green tom stage and quite a few small peppers! So fingers crossed it should be a good crop :)

I've been eating quite a lot of Roquito chilli pepper pearls - however as hard as I look, can't find what type of chilli they are - does anyone have an idea as would love to grow them! Have started saving the seeds, but the internet says there's 0% chance of germination due to the brine.

Any ID would be great.

Thank you :)
Diane
KG Regular

They have their own Facebook page and it says they are "Hand selected red jalapenos from South America".
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Thank you Diane :) That's more than I could find! Just curious as they're such an unusual shape!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Roquito is a trade name so it might be he name of the product rather than the variety of jalapeño. I can't find any seeds with that name.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arn1e
KG Regular

Having just discovered these wonderful peppers, I decided to look in to them, and at first thought I had found them when I came across Peruvian Rocotillos... The image I found looks very similar to the peppers in question, and a couple of chilli pepper sites that describe them make them sound very similar, and as already mentioned Roquito is a trademarked brand name... I can even see it working as a contraction on the actual name for the peppers. No idea if you will be able ti grow them yourself, or if they will all look the same (one site mentioned that they can be brown or orange as well as red, maybe Roquitos are just the red ones). A lot of my info comes from http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili ... li-peppers hope this helps in some way!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Arn1e

Good link, they look interesting, especially as they say mild, they scream Hot looking at them. And some recipes as well. Just to find a supplier!

Westi
PS: Welcome to the forum btw!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Arn, it sounds like you've solved it for us. I'll look them up.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've ordered some from Trade winds something or other an American company. I ordered a few varieties but the postage comes to more than the cost of the seeds. They've a very good selection of seeds though.
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers PP!

I love looking at the USA sites, such different varieties available. You should check out their pumpkins - amazing!

Westi
Westi
edtigger78
KG Regular

www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-s ... lli-seeds/

I believe these are the correct seeds
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks edtigger78!

That's nice & local ('ish)! We've got a chilli festival coming up early June nearby, they may have a stall. Bit late for this year but will check out the use by dates!
Westi
Chilli pearl
KG Regular

Hi all, I'm a little late on this thread but I hope someone sees this message. I had some Roquito chilli pearl drops on my pizza the other day and since then I've been on the hunt to buy some. Looks like it has been discontinued. I've called Tesco/ Sainsbury's/ Waitrose/ Asda and nOne of them stock it. Do you have any tips by any chance? Or was anyone able to buy it recently (2017)?

:?: thanks so much
Colin2016
KG Regular

There were some chilli drops in Lidl yesterday not sure if they are "Roquito chilli pearl drops" though. They were part of leftovers from thoer special theme weeks Italy/Spain.
Chilli pearl
KG Regular

Omg!!! Thanks so much for replying. Will defo head to Lidl tonight and have a look
queen of green
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

I have also become obsessed with these little chilli peppers after having them in a salad recently.
Has anyone managed to grow them from seeds, or found a somewhere that stocks ready to eat?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic