Birthdays !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I doubt I put a birthday in. International gardener of mystery!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Pasnip, and I hope you carry on proving them wrong and enjoying every day.

My very good friend who died two years ago carried on for over nine years after they had told her she didn't have long to live, and every time she went back in hospital she giggled at the surprise on the faces of the doctor's who knew her and said yes I'm still here.

She had a brilliant attitude to life and carried on doing as much as she was able right up to the end and always thought about other people and tried to help them. She even taught her carers to sew, knit and crochet and used to come to the allotment whenever she could.
Primrose
KG Regular

We know we have an eventual expiry date but whilst it remains unspecified in the distant future it,s easy to take life foegeanted Having a diagnosis made or a time limit imposed suddenly brings the reality home and I think it concentrates the mind on how much livng you still want to cram in while you are still able. I'm convinced positivity buys you extra time.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PP
your very good friend sounds like she passed on her attitude to me> Type of lady I'd want on my side in a battle.
I just love the look on district nurses and doctors faces when they haven't seen me for a while so I know just why she giggled.

Primrose
I'm with you on the positivity front.

Always been positive I'd never win the lottery, cant see me being proved wrong there :lol: I don't do it.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I've given up birthdays - my sister came to stay who is 7 years older than me and told me I should be thinking of selling up and down sizing as it was surely getting too much for me. At least my only son who is a GP and would be the beneficiary of any spare cash that resulted was supportive, his take being "use it or lose it".

I am a great believer in positive thinking. I had a nephew, who sadly died young of a brain tumour, that worked in the drugs industry and developed some world renowned treatments but at one time he was looking for a new line of research. I suggested investigating if there is a chemical/hormone basis for positive thinking. We have all been full of a cold for example with a special event or perhaps a sporting fixture coming up and have made a recovery just in time. I was always positive about going to work and had very little time off though could be pretty rough at weekends. There are those who believe in the power of prayer, regulars will know I am not one, but that is just another manifestation of the same effect. Half full every time!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Must admit to having been a 'half empty' person mostly in the past. Cant admit to thinking positive at present, but neither am I thinking negative.

In truth I don't tend to think about the alien within. My immediate family treat it with the same humour and contempt as I do and my working on the plot means I don't think about it at all.

I am keeping well clear of discussing the power of prayer, but each to their own . It does comfort some I'm sure, but not me.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Marigold
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Must admit to having been a 'half empty' person mostly in the past. Cant admit to thinking positive at present, but neither am I thinking negative.

In truth I don't tend to think about the alien within. My immediate family treat it with the same humour and contempt as I do and my working on the plot means I don't think about it at all.

I am keeping well clear of discussing the power of prayer, but each to their own . It does comfort some I'm sure, but not me.

Sigh..... amazing what you can slip in without discussing is it not! Amazing! My life is prayer in action. Not a question of comfort. Without it I would be dead long long ago. Several times over... Hate "religion ¨ but faith and prayer are other things entirely.. Have woken very sick today so thing I will sign out now. Have a grand day and yes, praying for all as I do every day and in every way. Fare thee well grand folk all and sad that you have had such negative things. I live my faith in love and kindness, Makles me sad and even sicker reading this; was why I signed off at Easter ,, Blessings and peace.. getting too negative here again...love you all! so does God
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Nothing negative intended at all Marigold, each to their own god and their own beliefs.

Feel it a shame you chose to quote me in isolation but not going to get drawn in to the subject any further.

Sorry you are not feeling good today, hope your day improves.

alan refail
KG Regular

I was always under the impression that we steered clear of religion and politics on the forum.
It is a great pity that a thread which started by discussing how easy it was to miss the announcements of birthdays on the new format should have descended to this!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Funny, I got the gist that we were all being positive and getting on with things regardless and appreciating what we have.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well it's
Happy Birthday to Mr or Mrs Nobody again today. I remembered to check the main Index !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:I was always under the impression that we steered clear of religion and politics on the forum.
It is a great pity that a thread which started by discussing how easy it was to miss the announcements of birthdays on the new format should have descended to this!

Quite agree.
I quote two previous posts,

Geoff wrote
There are those who believe in the power of prayer, regulars will know I am not one

I then wrote

I'm sure no offence was intended, in fact I struggle to see why any was. It is a shame that some appears to have been. Both are hardly derogatory or hardcore religious statements

As I previously stated, I hope Marigolds day improves
Last edited by Pa Snip on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Well it's
Happy Birthday to Mr or Mrs Nobody again today. I remembered to check the main Index !

:D

bet it wont be long before we miss the day the next birthday appears, or it will be someone who hasn't been on the forum since year dot :)

alan refail
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:
bet it wont be long before we miss the day the next birthday appears, or it will be someone who hasn't been on the forum since year dot :)

If my memory serves me aright, the next one you must definitely not miss comes up on 11 May.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Alan you get my thanks.

No idea whose birthday you refer to, apart from them appearing automatically I guess I would just have to wade through profiles to find out whose.

However, you did cause me to look on my diary and I noticed a hospital appointment in May was not on there. Had to find letter to confirm date.
Obliged to you because I knew I had an appointment around that time. Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic