Globe artichokes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi, I'm going to (I hope) grow some globe artichokes plants from seed for a friend and for myself. I was thinking of dedicating a 1m2 area for them on the plot. How many plants would you suggest for an area of that size? Everything I've read suggests a 90 cm spacing, but for a new area would it be ok to squeeze a few in to maximise chances?

My mother in law did give me some of hers which she divided but they didn't survive/ I didn't plant them in time.

Any other tips appreciated.

Paula
dan3008
KG Regular

In general, when they are young, you can fit more in, and thin out when they get bigger.
Remember, they are related to the common thistle, so don't mind a bit of crowding, and will grow anywhere.

Watch out though, they can spread out of control very quickly.
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just got one now and moved it into the herbaceous border because it took up too much space. When the leaves spread out it will easily fill a square metre. If you want a productive plant with decent sized artichokes I would give it plenty of room. If you grow them close together they'll do ok but you'll just get smaller artichokes.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
If you have not already bought the seeds, I have found that the variety Gros Vert de Laon, a traditional French one from Sarah Raven is good as the heads seem to have 'softer' spines and therefore easier to handle once harvested. I don't know If anyone else has any experience of it.

Hilary
Johnboy
KG Regular

Dear Pawty,
As always Plumpudding is perfectly right in what she advises. Globe Artichokes to be of any culinary use must have a square yard
(90cm x 90cm) per plant and it is only from mature plants will you get something meaningfully culinary.
They are a wonderful flower when in bloom and a great Bee attractor which you may not even get in the first year.
They need to be thoroughly established and resent being moved. Best sown a single seed per pot and planted out with as little disturbance as possible and from pot to final position is to be advised. Plant in a well prepared enriched soil.
JB.
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks for all the advice. I love this plant - definitely worth time and space. I can already taste them with some butter and garlic.

So, one seed per pot (9cm??) and wait until it looks like a 'proper' plant until planted in its dedicated area (july) and only one plant per m2. Am still tempted to put a couple in in case one dies ...... I tend to work on a 50% rule (not always a good decision with courgettes!!).

Thanks
dan3008
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:. Am still tempted to put a couple in in case one dies ...... I tend to work on a 50% rule (not always a good decision with courgettes!!).

Thanks

I'd advise planting at least 2, personally, I'd go with 3or4... My logic is its easyer to get rid of an extra plant (someone at your local allotment society will take it off your hands for sure) than to try and nurture a plant that was planted too late. Even perennials don't over winter well without having grown properly during the warm months
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Barry
KG Regular

I have always grown lots of these and they do need space if you want a meaninful crop. In fact, it is easier to grow too many, which means you never keep up with eating them and they go to seed, giving the delightful purple flowers. They are worth growing, though, since you get something green early on the season along with asparagus, which is always a bonus.

I am shortly going to some move my existing plants from one end of Kent to the other, so please keep your fingers crossed. Unlike Johnboy's experience, mine has been that these do move without too many problems, but I shouldn't really say that, should I? I will probably curse them :D
Pawty
KG Regular

The seedlings are growing nicely - very excited about these....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (426.43 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Westi
KG Regular

And this time next year Pawty you'll have this!

I planted these about 10 years ago & they are still going strong. I take some of them when they're small but always leave some to mature & flower for the bees - they love them. These are quite big this year due to it being milder. I can't transfer any of these resized pics back to my photos to crop out the grey bit - sorry!
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic