Heritage peas

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

Around 15 years ago when I first came to Ireland I joined Irish Seedsavers. One of the varieties I had samples of was Carlin Peas, an old pea from I think Nottingham. It has the prettiest pink and purple flowers and really sweet peas they traditionally dried and made puddings of. They go brown then! I have all these years on just set trays of them, having saved seed each year. Love saving seed like that!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm in the Heritage Seed library and do the same with peas, beans etc from them, also Real Seeds are really good for varieties you can save
that come true to type. They even give instructions on how to save and process the seed. Ive also got some Carlin peas that someone gave me a few years ago and they always do well . It's very satisfying knowing that you have free crops every year isn't it :)
Marigold
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I'm in the Heritage Seed library and do the same with peas, beans etc from them, also Real Seeds are really good for varieties you can save
that come true to type. They even give instructions on how to save and process the seed. Ive also got some Carlin peas that someone gave me a few years ago and they always do well . It's very satisfying knowing that you have free crops every year isn't it :)

Indeed yes and a friend in the UK has just sent me a big bag of broad bean seed as she does every year. They are a farming family so probably field crops but grand to have them. My best free seed success is a tree lupin plant from seed I took from mine when I moved house. no room for it here so I will sell it at market.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic