Mini plastic greenhouses

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Experiences please from anybody who has bought one as I'm considering buying one as a gift for somebody. There seem to be many cheap versions available and I want to get a decent quality one. Gardman seem to come with a reinforced green plastic netting type cover. Are these better for plants than the clear polythene covers (do they reduce light levels for young seedlings?) iIs any one make sturdier than another? My own model is rather elderly but has the advantage of wire shelves that split in two halves so taller plants from a lower shelf can be accommodated, and I'd like a model that includes this faciility if anybody can recommend one.
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Primrose. I don't know the make of it (purchased from a garden centre) but we had one of the reinforced covered ones and it lasted a lot longer than the clear plastic one we had before that. We found the clear cover quickly deteriorated...it went all sticky, then eventually ripped but this didn't happen with the reinforced one. I didn't have any problems with light levels for the seedlings either. We also had a cold frame with the same sort of cover which worked very well.
Sorry I can't help with the name.
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

That's helpful Elaine because I was wondering whether the green reinforced cover prevented adequate light levels getting through. I have a transparent cover on my old one and find that in very hot weather the sun heats up the metal tubing to the point where any part of plastic cover resting on it starts to melt and dissolve, especially on top. i have had to wind Jey cloth bandaging around the sloping top roof structure tubes to avoid any direct contact with the plastic. Does the same thing not happen with the green reinforced covers in very hot sunshine?
robo
KG Regular

I have a green reinforced plastic pollytunnel I know its not what you are asking about but we have not had any problems with it, no shortage of light its uv stable and seems to stand up to the gales we get
Elaine
KG Regular

I had the same issue with the clear plastic one, Primrose but I don't think I did with the reinforced one....I don't remember having the palaver of "lagging" the top of the frame.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic