Summer rolls.

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

They were called "Summer rolls" on Maui, on the internet they are more often referred to as "Spring rolls".

My introduction to this fabulous treat was on Maui, they were sold out of a vegetarian outlet for a few dollars each. Each one was a handful of rice paper, noodles, shredded carrot, lettuce, coriander, sprouts, sometimes beans, peanut sauce and chile all wrapped up.

Now they sell them at Waitrose and a search informs me I can buy the rice wrapper and all sorts of stuff on the internet.

I just made some, very difficult without any prior practice, a bit messy for my first attempt though very-very tasty.

Finely chopped lettuce, coriander, carrot, shredded chicken, chopped mint and rice noodles all ramped up with Vietnamese style sauce. I ate seven, enough for four people. (They say)

Anyone else tried these yet ? All you need is the rice wrappers, I'm not sure about the rice noodle but everything else come from the KG.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Sounds good, and very healthy as long as you don't eat seven! :shock:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

They were only little ones and I hadn't eaten since breakfast, because of all those healthy summer rolls I'm having a bacon butty for late breakfast.

No-really, I'm surprised with you lot of green-stuff eaters that this hasn't turned into a three page thread of information for my new eating habit.

I have to make peanut-sauce now and I'm thinking about grated raw beetroot with the grated carrot in a summer roll.
Last edited by Ricard with an H on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:.........
I have to make peanut now and I'm thinking about grated raw beetroot with the grated carrot.

Please share that recipe. :lol:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
AlexMason
KG Regular

As i have tried them, these rolls are really delicious........yummy........ :)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

It's a surprise that there are just two of us, I waded into another half dozen yesterday lunch. Filled with shredded chicken, carrot, lettuce and this time some green chile sauce instead of the regulation sweet-chile.

If anyone gives this a go, don't buy the small rice papers, you can't get enough filling in and there isn't enough left over for folding and tucking.

I just pulled my first cabbage so I'll be using finely chopped white cabbage though the one I have grown isn't as tasty as sweetheart or even another regular cabbage I buy but the name escapes me.

Next season I'll be be more careful about choosing varieties of anything I grow for taste rather than because it came free with a magazine.

I pulled quite a few chantenay carrots now and they won't get grown next season. Any others to try other than nantes, that was quite tasty.

It's still brings a huge smile to my face to walk up to the growing plot and pick two carrots, a few leaves of salad and some herbs.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic