I would like to plant an orchard.

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, i'm still agonising over this 'Planting an orchard' if only to use the valuable space we have that is just grass.

Dwarf stock would be essential considering the wind, if we can get our heads around the expense of first creating a wind break then it'll be a go-er. I have already designed the windbreak, it'll consist of largely of stock fencing covered with windbreak fabric which is easily available around here then the stock fence is planted with something. Maybe sea buckthorn again.

This would mean when the timber of the fence expires it'll all be held together by the growing material and easily repaired.

After the help and suggestions from you-all it'll be down to money, we are always faced with our income becoming an issue and whilst we are probably in good company we have to plan carefully.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Chantal
KG Regular

A friend of mine has a large orchard and she says gets a payment every year from the Forestry Stewardship Commission. The FSC apparently pay these grants providing you grow native apples which are on their list. She has full size and dwarf trees of all sorts of eaters and cookers. I don't know any more details, but it may be worth checking them out.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for the thought and whilst I may not be up to speed at the moment, ten years ago I made some enquiries. At that time the minimum requirement was one hectare.

I have an acre, but I will make an enquiry and let you know what I find.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic