To blanch or not to blanch ....

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

With the freezing season now well and duly started, I was chatting to two women about freezing vegetables and they both told me that the accepted practice nowadays is not to blanch them before freezing. I always blanch everything. So, do I have to or not?
Beryl
KG Regular

Definitely not peas or broad beans. Both will keep for more than a year; I don't freeze any other veg only in cooked dishes or maybe winter time I will roast parsnips and celeriac for convenience.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

I don't blanch. I used to but watched some chef programme & they didn't so I stopped doing it! I think I would if it was shop bought stuff though. I haven't had any problem, I always tray freeze so is all separate & I think it also helps keep some of the crunch.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, Beryl and Westi. I will try freezing the peas and broad beans (which are my main frozen produce) without blanching. What about French and runner beans?
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I think they do need to be blanched for about 2 mins Monika if you want to keep them through the winter. I don't like them frozen but it is all a matter of taste.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

Thanks for that, Beryl. I don't like them as vegetables on their own, but I use a lot in soups and stews.
glallotments
KG Regular

I don't blanch anything - that includes French and runner beans. If I had to blanch them I wouldn't freeze them. Too much hassle and a house full of steam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic