What now in the greenhouse?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Redfox
KG Regular

I grow some cauli's in my greenhouse over winter, they dont grow much but come spring they put on a spurt of growth and i have nise new cauli's in april and may :D
I grow them in pots so that if any are not finished by the time the good weather comes I can just put them outside and make room fot the summer greenhouse crops.
Primrose
KG Regular

If you can generate enough heat indoors on a windowsill to sow some endive now , this is also a very hardy salad plant which you can grow on in a greenhouse during winter. . I find that once the seedlings come through they will grow slowly then take off in early spring. I've got some fully grown endive plant in a garden border. They recently survived two nights of Minus 5 degrees frost and are still going strong.
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1292 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1292 (640x480).jpg (307.98 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
williamraed wrote:I think you can plantation winter salads such as mizuna, corn salad, coriander, land cress, and mustards which grow the very slowly. They all will be finished in November.

This is totally untrue. All these salads will survive very low temperatures under cover. The picture is of Mizuna, Mibuna, Pak Choi and various Japanese mustards, taken on 1 January 2013. Such plants regularly survive temperatures down to -8C. They are only removed when they go to seed in the spring.
Where did you get the idea that winter crops will be finished in November before the winter even starts?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I agree Alan, there are lots of salad crops that over winter very well. I've got some small clumps of mixed lettuce that I planted in November. Unfortunately with being ill I missed sowing my usual Chinese greens.

The only problem I've had are a couple of large moth caterpillars that keep coming out of the soil at night and munching a clump or two at a time. I've caught two now by searching by torchlight and catching them in the act, and another one by scratching about in the soil near the latest plant to get eaten. So it's just a reminder that it isn't always slugs and snails that are dining on your crops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic