melons in a greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phill
KG Regular

Hi people, I've tried growing melons in my greenhouse for the first time this year, they are doing well and small yellow flowers have appeared, I've been told the best way to assist pollination is to "mist" the plants in the evening with water. Any suggestions as to the good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I've tried the paintbrush technique but again, am unsure if this is good or not.
MikA
KG Regular

Phill,

I have been trying to pollinate melons as well. But with one starting to grow there were either no more female flowers or no more males. Yesterday and today we had several of each.
I have noticed that the male flowers need time and probably sun to show their yellow pollen.
We have tried the brush technique in previous years but with no success.
The best way is to have bees in the greenhouse and let them do what comes naturally. If this isn't happening. Pick a male flower when ready and carefully remove the petals while holding the stalk, gently rub the male into the center of a well open female, hopefully this will transfer the pollen. Do this anytime you have both good males and females and you should get some set.
Good luck, there is nothing like the smell of ripe melons when you go into the greenhouse.
phill
KG Regular

Cheers MikA, will give it a try as I appear to have both male and female flowers in abundance. Many thanks!!
williamraed
KG Regular

If you want to growing melons in an unheated greenhouse, then you should go to gardenofeaden online blog site here thay will provide the best instruction about mealons in a greenhouse. I hope it helps.
grow light is essential for indoor growing
alan refail
KG Regular

williamraed wrote:If you want to growing melons in an unheated greenhouse, then you should go to gardenofeaden online blog site here thay will provide the best instruction about mealons in a greenhouse. I hope it helps.

Hmm! Can't say I could find anything about melons :(

Here's the link you didn't post http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Or even http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... house.html

Though this was the best bit of the site

EasterI.jpg
EasterI.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic