Grow Lights

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jjat8cv
KG Regular

Has anyone experience of using grow lights to get an early start for tomatoes and peppers etc. and what do you consider to be the best type.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I have two 4 foot double light fittings with Growlux tubes above my propagation table. I wouldn't be without them.

Cheers, Tony. :P
Geoff
KG Regular

I use a pair of GreenLamp 125W 6400K bulbs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-125w-Blue ... 2eb6e520b5

I have had good results from them this year but don't know the life yet.

This thread shows them with my "Triffid" seedlings.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10660&p=102415&hilit=enthusiastic#p102415
williamraed
KG Regular

According to me, the CFL Grow Light 125w Veg bulb Propagation Hydroponics Lamp Bulb 6400K 6000Lm is the best for tomatoes and peppers because It can be use to fast grow for your tomatoes and peppers.
grow light is essential for indoor growing
glallotments
KG Regular

We have a grow light which I have written about on my website here

http://ossettweather.com/glallotments.co.uk/indoorlightgarden.html

We found it really useful and have it in a spare bedroom - we're thinking of buying a second one.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

williamraed wrote:According to me, the CFL Grow Light 125w Veg bulb Propagation Hydroponics Lamp Bulb 6400K 6000Lm is the best for tomatoes and peppers because It can be use to fast grow for your tomatoes and peppers.

You wouldn't per chance have some of those for sale on Ebay, would you ?

I didn't get on with my growlights. I wanted them just to extend the daylight at the ends of the day, but they need to be so close to the plants to give enough light that you have to either move them out of the way during daylight, or leave them on all day which struck me as too wasteful of energy. And the brilliantly lit greenhouse got the neighbours gossiping too :lol:
glallotments
KG Regular

Tony Hague wrote:
I didn't get on with my growlights. I wanted them just to extend the daylight at the ends of the day, but they need to be so close to the plants to give enough light that you have to either move them out of the way during daylight, or leave them on all day which struck me as too wasteful of energy. And the brilliantly lit greenhouse got the neighbours gossiping too :lol:

We set ours up on a timer switch.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Ah, that's not the problem. The problem is that all the modest florescent lamps need to be within inches of your seedlings to give a useful level of light. Then when they are off, they cast a huge shadow, negating any benefit. Unless you actually move them aside.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't find that with my set up, see above.
When the lights are on the propagator is covered with white painted boards to minimise light escape and the chance of "hello hello what's going on here".
Bit of a pain if we are going out early before they go off as I've managed to buy a new timer without a manual override.
williamraed
KG Regular

Tony Hague wrote:
williamraed wrote:According to me, the CFL Grow Light 125w Veg bulb Propagation Hydroponics Lamp Bulb 6400K 6000Lm is the best for tomatoes and peppers because It can be use to fast grow for your tomatoes and peppers.

You wouldn't per chance have some of those for sale on Ebay, would you ?

If you want to buy the CFL Grow Light 125w Veg bulb Propagation Hydroponics Lamp Bulb 6400K 6000Lm, then you should go to Amazon online site, and find it which is there. I hope it helps.
grow light is essential for indoor growing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic