Wheeled hoe

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Does anyone know if you can still buy wheeled hoes,if so where from.I was watching one on ebay today but got outbid. Any help will be much appreciated.
Kind regards Old herbaceous.

We will always get some sort of weather.
John
KG Regular

This came up a while ago. Have a look in this section of the forum under 'Jalo Cultivator' - its 9 places up from the bottom posting. A Google search will turn up quite a lot of info. It's really a matter of finding a supplier in the UK as these machines seem to be made in either Switzerland or the US.
John
Last edited by John on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
KG Regular

What's a reasonable bid? I have A Jalo with some extra tines and plough but it would need sorting out first. Don't expect it to do miracles, the only power of the things is what you put in and it is impossibly hard work if the soil isn't in good condition in the first place.
Also a Mantis, little used but we don't get along with it. For me two-strokes bad, four-strokes good.
Allan in Hereford

Thank you for the replies, John and Alan.
I now have found one near to were i live.
you know what they say when it rains it pours.
Thanks again .
Old herbaceous

We will always get some sort of weather.
peat
KG Regular

If you would like to make your own. Try this.

http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/cultivator.htm
I think it could be adapted to take different tools.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Allan
KG Regular

The major fault I found on the Jalo, apart from it being under-powered, is that it could do with a wider wheel to stop it sinking into hollows or soft ground. I really don't think a bicycle wheel is wide enough on rough soil. There used to be a RO-LO cultivator with a small roller at the front, that seemed to work quite well. I tried it briefly at a Chase open day, it seemed easy to push.
Re J L H Chase, there seem to be almost nothing about him on internet yet he was quite an innovator. If anybody has any of the Chase Guild literature I would love to see it. Chase Organics don't seem to say anything about him. That's the son of the cloche man.
fen not fen
KG Regular

I've just picked one up through the local paper for £25, and it has all kinds of attachments. I'm very pleased with myself as I've been after one for ages...
vivie veg
KG Regular

Hi anyone still interested,

There is another one on ebay with 4 days to go it's number is

Sorry I cannot do an automatic link to it (Must try harder!)

Currently the bidding is quite low, but the postage is £18

Regards

Vivianne

Fen not Fen.
That was a bit of a bargain, especially with all the attachments. They really do save some time, take a bit of time to get the feel of them though.
Hope you enjoy playing with your attachments.
Mine only came with hoe blades, but i think i might have found some different bits.

Kind regards very slightly jealous Old herbaceous.

When i'm not fishing i'm mending my nets.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Forgot to log in again.

Silly Old herbaceous.

I once grew an acre of carrots & used a Jalo to side hoe & scuffle between rows. I think that job is the limit with the small power avaible
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic