Cats

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Visitor

Cats have used garden as toilet.When and is it safe for growing Vegetables.Ugggggh?How do you make it safe/
Angi
KG Regular

Oh my god! You really should do a search on this topic, as everyone has their own ideas on the subject. You have probably just reopened a massive can of worms!! Personally, I don't grow veg in my garden because of this problem.
Tigger
KG Regular

I've got 6 cats (semi-wild ones) and a dog. None of them use the veg garden as a loo because I trained them to go elsewhere from the beginning. It's easy to train the dog. You have to be a bit more persistent with cats, but they'll get the message eventually.

As for clearing the ground - I'd be inclined to use a lime dressing, but I'm no expert. Someone will know the answer though!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

It's perfectly safe for growing vegetables - though not as pleasant as it might be!
The only dangers from cat poo are toxoplasmosis and worms, neither of which will be transmitted to your vegetables. However, you might want to wear gloves when gardening and wash your produce thoroughly before eating it.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Our two used to go anywhere but in our garden but Betty is 15 now and struggles to get over the fence, so she goes anywhere there is bare soil at home, hence we only grow edibles in the greenhouse. Stan still goes else where, no doubt anoying some neighbour or other, but as he really buries them deep I feel that I ought to hire him out to do double digging.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Jude
KG Regular

Anyone else had the same problem as me lately? My (admittedly) oldish cat thinking that the snow was just perfect for burying his crap in - he wouldn't normally been seen dead doing it in his own garden. Now it's all thawed it looks really lovely, oh well, out with the shovel tomorrow. And no, I don't grow anything edible in the garden except for a few herbs!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
arthur e
KG Regular

Heh Jude,"theres a song there some where" thats not a problem,it just makes it easier to find and dispose of, or I should say the OH has less of a prob on her flower beds as I found it and dumped it.That which is'nt found I think must decay quickly, otherwise we would all be up to our necks in it by now.
Jude
KG Regular

Woke up this morning to find compost and bits of dahlia all over the kitchen windowsill so I am not happy with my feline friend today. Serves me right though, I suppose, it is his old (cleaned out) litter tray being employed as 'tuber starting' kit!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Dear Cat sufferers

We have been plagued by cats in our garden over the years. Tried using normal cat deterents but to no avail. In the end I made an electric fence by making an electronic pulsing circuit with a vehicle ignition coil. I carefully put a bare wire around our front garden supported on insulated sticks and connected the circuit. The next morning there was no sign of cat mess but a dead pheasant laid by the wire. We ate the pheasant and have had no further problems with cats. The only other problem we had was that the postman was not too impressed with it.

Keep planting

Barney
The Grock in a Frock

try putting orange peel where they go.
jopsy
KG Regular

i used orange and lemon peel, pepper helps too as long as it doesnt rain!!!
my cats go in the litter tray!
Beccy
KG Regular

A german shepard and a spaniel work very well too :twisted: .
richard p
KG Regular

least cats try to bury theirs :twisted:
Beccy
KG Regular

Which means you come across it unexpectedly eeeuuurrrgh. Dogs can be trained to go in particular places, or at least not on the beds (growing or sleeping ones :) )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic