White grubs in potted plants

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Anonymous

Erm, does that mean you will be putting the grubs out for the birds?

Otherwise, and I think I may be being a bit thick here, why do you need your coat?

valmarg

Hi Valmarg,

Did you see, or were you ever a fan of 'The Fast Show' ?
I merely made light of the fact that every topic I was going to make enquiries about on the forum, had been suitably covered, and that I was not now going to have to ask any of those questions, and that now, like the 'sketch' went, I'd just 'get my coat'....
Sorry, it appealed to my sense of humour, but I see now, that for people who have no concept of its humour, it's totally and utterly lost.
I shan't be losing sleep over it, but I WILL be putting the grubs out on the bird table in the morning!
cliff_the_gardener
KG Regular

re :Imidacloprid
This is the active ingredient in Pravado Ultimate bug killer and is approved for use on Tomatoes, Peppers and Aubergines.
Not all insecticides containing Imidacloprid have the approval but if you want to use a broad spectrum insecticide - for amatuer use this is available
Clifford
Anonymous

Sorry guest, never managed to catch the Fast Show. That would explain why the little grey cells did not work on this occasion!

Pleased you are putting the little buggers out for the birds. If this neck of the woods is anything to go by, we have got a lot of chicks around. The adult birds are frantic. It will help feed the chicks a 'natural' diet.

I do have a sense of humour, honest.

valmarg
jopsy

:? ok i now know what i foiund in nearly all my pot plants last night-thanks to this fab forum!
my plants are well and truly DEAD!
do i need to wash out my containers before re-planting?
Anonymous

If I were you jopsy I would wash the pots before putting anything else in them, just to be on the safe side.

There was a site recently on whether to wash/not wash pots. The consensus seemed to be that life's to short to bother. I would disagree, but that's my choice.

There was also mention of 'second hand' trays being readily available and cheap. To my mind that is the most efficient way of bringing adult vine weevils into your garden. They 'lurk' under the edges of the trays, and if you leave them lying around, they get into your greenhouse, garden, and the next thing you know you are infested with grubs.

It is obvious on shrubs, etc in the garden when you have the adults, because of the 'perforations' round the edge of the leaves. When we find a shrub affected by this we spray with a systemic insecticide, in the hopes that it will kill the adults.

They are an absolute swine to get rid of, but with the aid of Provado, it is getting easier, if somewhat expensive. Wouldn't personally bother with the nematodes. They are a bit 'hit and miss'.

valmarg
jopsy
KG Regular

thank you valmarg!
i suspect i got them from a local garden opening thingummybob in our local area last year where i purchased a few plants. these were mainly the infected pots.
i have washed my tubs out-it didn't really take that long! well not as long as crushing the grubs in my new white gap rainbow wellies!
ta muchley
jo x
Anonymous

Sorry jopsy, please don't crush the grubs under your wellies, collect them together in a shallow tray and put them our for the birds. As I've said earlier on on this thread, they are a bit of welcome fresh food at this time of year, particularly as there are young chicks out there, and it supplies them with some natural food.

Hope you manage to get rid of them.

Some of their favourite hosts are, all members of the primula family, strawberries, busy lizzies, fuchsias, hostas. etc.

I think the war against them is starting to be won. I have known years when my fuchsia plants and busy lizzies have been absolutely devastated by them.

For every good insect in the garden there is more than one bad one.

valmarg
jopsy
KG Regular

erm i dont have a bird table and 2 cats!
if i get more ill pop them into the graveyard!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jopsy,
Just pop them would be the best thing to do!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic