Carrot Fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Read that carrot fly cannot go above 3 feet.

If I raised the bed above 3 feet would I still need to cover them?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes cover it completely the wind can blow them around even if they can't physically fly very high and why skimp on a decent sized piece of enviromesh which will completely protect your crop (providing you keep the sides fastened down).
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with PP - when the wind blows the carrot fly will be over the top immediately! Sad to say that I have given up trying to grow carrots on the allotment because of the carrot fly. Even covering them with a fine mesh tunnel for two years running (which I thought was completely carrot-fly-proof), the little devils got in or were already in there and did dither dirty work. Growing them at home, with no other vegetable gardens anywhere nearby, has been fine without any protection!
robo
KG Regular

I was watching Hugh Fernley startingstall the other night he was making a vegetable stock the carrots in it were riddled with carrot fly
tigerburnie
KG Regular

robo wrote:I was watching Hugh Fernley startingstall the other night he was making a vegetable stock the carrots in it were riddled with carrot fly

Extra protein.....?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Than you all for your comments seems best to lay it on top rather than around edges to forma screen.
Geoff
KG Regular

The often quoted idea that you only need a barrier sounds like nonsense to me, as others have said surely wind would carry at least some flies in. If you get carried away viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14183&start=60#p143565
lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya. Past experience has taught me to cover completely. They say carrot fly are not strong fliers but can smell carrot foliage at half a mile and follow the scent which is why they say pick in the evenings. I tried a barrier but the fly still got in and some one on our site last year got fly and they had a barrier 3 foot high. So yes, to avoid disappointment keep well covered and be carefull weeding etc. Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic