The year of the caterpillar

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tony Hague
KG Regular

I've seen lots of people commenting on the butterflies this year, the unfortunate side of this is they have produced lots of caterpillars ! My particular unexpected problem is the appearance of a caterpillar which is eating its way through my tomatoes in the greenhouse. Fruit, leaves, all are going into holes. Now, I've never had this before. peppers and chillies yes, but tomatoes are toxic enough to keep most things off, I thought. The ones I've found are a khaki brown, about an inch long. Anyone know what I have ?

I'm thinking to give up on the tomatoes and rip them out. The best fruit are over, what fruit is left are masses of cherries Rosella and Golden Crown. These were new varieties for me this year, and I like neither of them. Rosella has tasty but uselessly tiny fruit that spilt far to easily. Golden crown tastes just wierd. Very sweet and no balancing acidity. Might be able to use them up in a hot sauce or ketchup of some sort where the vinegar will help to balance the flavour.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A new one on me, Tony, will be interesting to see if anyone knows!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Could be cabbage moth, they are around now and eat anything.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

Or a very hungry?
Monika
KG Regular

Tony, I think it's the caterpillar of the tomato moth or Bright-line Brown-eye Lacanobia oleracea. If you google the Latin name, there are lots of photos and other info on it!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Here's one a fellow plot holder found on his plot. No idea what it is but looks vicious. Figured the brown spike was the defence system since the its bright yellow colour makes it stand out like a sore thumb

DSC_687402.jpg
DSC_687402.jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

Pa Snip, the caterpillar is that of the pale tussock moth. No danger to the vegetable gardener, it eats mainly tree leaves like birch.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Pa Snip, the caterpillar is that of the pale tussock moth. No danger to the vegetable gardener, it eats mainly tree leaves like birch.

Thanks Monika I will pass that info on to the guy who found it on his plot

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic