Wildlife - friend and foe

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Our pea harvest will be almost non-existent this year. When we went to allotment yesterday, most of the pea plants had been pulled off their supports and the pods and leaves shredded by pheasants ......... They had even nibbled the ends of the recently planted leeks, so I have put a net over those to save them. One allotment neighbour has lost most of his (un-netted) brassicas to the little devils.

On the sad side, a willow warbler was caught in our brassica netting and died there because it couldn't extricate itself. So we had a sad little funeral.

On the plus side, we found a huge toad in a damp place!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Monika!

Shame about the willow warbler, netting is a necessity but it does get victims trapped. I'm now trying the plastic netting as it can be held down a bit firmer so they can't get in & if they do they can fly around in it like a bird cage until I can rescue them, but it is not that strong & easy to tear.

Thankfully you can still get another sowing of peas in - best make it a double row though! (& protected)
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

I knew an old gardener who would trap the pheasants that came looking for his peas using a wire mesh 'cage' baited with corn and propped up on a stick at one end. He reckoned they went well with peas! :)

Yes, tight netting helps prevent them getting caught in the first place. It is a bit expensive but the woven stuff stretched tight is very good and lasts a long time.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Hen birds might have young this time of year and although out of shooting season, a slow cooker cock bird casserole can be very nice if it turns cold and rainy...........................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic