Skunk Cabbage

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

This aquatic plant was featured on tonights Gardeners World. It is commonly known as Skunk Cabbage ( Lysichiton americanus ).
It was introduced to Britain over 100 years ago from America.

It grows in shallow water and boggy ground. It has become invasive and is a risk to other plants and blocking water courses, ditches and streams, the sale or exchange of plant or seed is now banned. Because it manages to create heat it is even growing on remote Scottish hillsides, surviving Scottish winters.

Gardeners & landowners who have it are required to stop it from spreading.

These pictures were taken at the Royal Parks Isabella Plantation, Richmond Park where, rather ironically, it was growing in abundance.

DSC_1242334.jpg
DSC_1242334.jpg (64.45 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

DSC_1244336.jpg
DSC_1244336.jpg (127.09 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

DSC_1246338.jpg
DSC_1246338.jpg (240.25 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I like my clump of Skunk Cabbage, it's a sign of Spring, it's staying!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff
There is no reason why it cannot stay, but it must be controlled.

Once it has flowered cut off the stem, dry it and burn it so that seeds do not spread.

The same problem started being experienced a few years back with Parrots Feather, another invasive non-indigenous aquatic plant.

Whilst I might like the look of skunk cabbage, I would much prefer to see our own Marsh Marigold, and rarer Giant Marsh Marigold, surviving and prospering

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's a bit of an ugly thug isn't it. I suppose a splash of yellow would brighten a shady corner. There are quite a few old stately home type gardens round here with large patches of it and it does swamp everything else out if it isn't managed.

I'm with you Pa on preferring our King Cups for those moist areas. They have much nicer leaves and lovely bright shiny petals and I think they fit in much better with all the other plants around them. But everyone has their own preferences that's why it's nice to see other people's gardens. I liked Monty Don's comments on show gardens when he said he preferred to see something beautiful rather than pyramids and weird structures.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Agree PP,

when I first started exhibiting at Chelsea (trade stand not floral exhibit) the 'gardens' were precisely that, gardens. I suspect there will be a lot of 'modernist' type gardens on tele this coming week. UGGHHH

tigerburnie
KG Regular

There's a fair bit of invasive stuff up here causing chaos with the wildlife, from rhododendrons to Himalayan balsam and giant hogweed. My own garden is infested with ground elder from a previous owner bringing in infected plants, flippin' Victorians.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

If you ever visit RHS Harlow Carr at Harrogate, you will see lots of skunk cabbage along the stream as well as beautiful bog primulas.
Westi
KG Regular

Saw a wee peek at something new at Chelsea in today's paper. An invisible greenhouse - for £3,000 (looked about 6' x 8' for that price) you can have a greenhouse with only corner joins with full sheets of glass (maybe perspex but it did say glass). No joins for naughty things to hide & more light & nice downpipes for water collection on each side. It did not have plants in the picture but garden furniture - don't think it would be too comfortable sweating on the rattan in a greenhouse in the summer! I think I would push the boat out if my numbers ever came up though! Mail on Saturday if interested or some clever person can find a link!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Westi
KG Regular

Cheers Geoff!

Smaller than I estimated & that must be the basic model without the downpipes etc. Thinking it is a good idea though, with that much light getting in, especially early in the season. A quick peek at mine in the back garden shows 7 panes of glass on the door end and a load of framework - and the door slide is warped as well! Thinking of lucky numbers as I write! :)
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My 25 ft x 13 ft cost £3000 15 years ago. It's a very strong commercial one with safety glass and has been brilliant. Much bigger than I was planning but my son saw it advertised and said he'd put it up for me. I don't think I'd spend so much on a little one.
robo
KG Regular

Glass is glass even toughened can shatter , all you need is a deepish scratch on the surface or a small chip on the edge the first frosty night it could shatter
Pa Snip
KG Regular

how did we get from a topic of Skunk Cabbage to greenhouses and glass ???

Oh hang on, it diverted due to a invisible greenhouse so these must all be invisible replies.

Saw the glasshouse at Malvern recently.
Not impressed in the slightest.

Oh and whilst diverted to Malvern, I saw the airpots again, another viewing did not improve my opinion of them

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Think the Chelsea topic sneaked into the wrong subject. But little squares of safety glass falling from the greenhouse roof is much safer than shards of glass when the local youth decide to kick football's through it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic