Photo ID of bugs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

With the help of Mr Pawty I thought I would try and get a few photos of bugs for ID. Here's the first (probably if many).

I've been wondering what's been nibbling by broad beans.... beatle like things .... we only realised when mr pawty was looking at his picture of the dunnock! The dunnock had a mouthful. So, does anyone know what they are? Knowing that the dummocks are eating them makes me not want to use any treatment. Will these bugs do much damage? I'll try and get a close up next time I'm at the lotty (had to resize to upload so lost a bit of detail)

Pawty
Attachments
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG (404.68 KiB) Viewed 11582 times
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG (423.62 KiB) Viewed 11582 times
Westi
KG Regular

Haven't a clue about bugs Pawty, but great pics! x
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We found a green insect beetle like thing on the plot yesterday, no idea what it was but was similar to a lily beetle except wrong colour.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Looks like a bean weevil.
Monika
KG Regular

It will be bean weevils the dunnock is after, Pawty. They make the notches on pea and broad bean leaves (never seen them trouble dwarf or runner beans!) and are particularly troublesome in dry weather. They don't do much permanent damage but can weaken plants when they are very young, so I must admit that, when it gets particularly bad, I do resort to an insect spray.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Thank you. I'll leave them for now and keep an eye on them.

BUT - looking at my chives, the dreaded black aphids are back again! I sprayed them..... thought I'd get in early. Been trying to do a bit of reading around this. It would appear that this is very common for chives, onions and shallots. They don't appear to damage the plant but are as they are sucking the sap. Apparently what I need is a load of ladybirds, or possibly plant some nasturtiums.

As I said - I've sprayed with a bug spray ( which I don't like using but wanted to tackle them early). However, when reading on line, I'm told to spray with soapy water. Any idea what is meant by soap? Would washing up liquid do?

Thanks

Pawty
Colin2016
KG Regular

Read somewhere that a weak solution of washing up liquid water is good for getting rid of aphids on trees & roses.

Did you know you can buy ladybirds?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mad+a ... M:&spf=195

A book by Ladybird about small bugs

The green beetle I saw is almost in the middle

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Seen the first cabbage white last week
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I try not to spray veg and fruit at all. The blue tits and other insect eating birds are all busy scouring all the plants for aphids etc so are cleaning up well. I usually just rub the aphids off with my fingers if any plants are struggling - bean tops etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic