Daddy Longlegs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody know anything about the mating habits of Daddy Longlegs?

I know they are the adult form of leatherjackets. We are getting lots of Daddy Longlegs in the polytunnel and I have had trouble with leatherjacket damage so I assume they are hatching in there, I have mesh over the doorways but not as fine as Enviromesh. We are killing 10 or more everyday.

My question is are we wasting our time killing them, do they emerge and mate almost straight away or are they flitting around looking for a mate?
Westi
KG Regular

We had loads until the neighbour took down the conifer hedging, but they still appear but not in the same numbers.

I'd be inclined to leave the door open so they go outside to mate & lay the next generation of leatherjackets, (which will cause damage), out of the polytunnel. Just thinking you're not in there all the time to monitor their activities & they may well have already laid the eggs before you kill them, door open & maybe a fan may blow them out into the garden away from your precious crops.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

They are a type of crane fly good bait for trout , they live anything up to six years and usually bread in autumn
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Have just looked up leatherjackets on RHS site.

Quote "Currently there are no chemical controls available to the home gardener"

Everybody and his brother (and or sister) appears to be offering another alternative nematode product. I wish I had faith in that method.

According to RHS Leather jackets are more prolific after a damp autumn, now what is one of the prime instructions on Nematode packets for slugs. Keep the ground moist whilst using Nematode's. Now that instruction also applies to leatherjacket Nematode control so surely you are on a uphill struggle.

This instruction is from https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/leath ... pack-50sqm site >

◾Spring application - typically early April to the end of May:
If you have discovered Leatherjackets (not daddy long legs) at any other time of year i.e. in the spring/summer then treat at double strength as the mature LeatherJackets are much harder to kill - you must treat in autumn as well.

Where a severe LeatherJacket infestation is present, multiple treatments over an extended period (spring and autumn) may be required.

I won't venture commenting on the cost factor.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

When Nematodes don't work it's always the user's fault because the conditions are wrong. I don't think the cost/benefit balance ever works out. I have found out the adults don't feed and only live 1 or 2 days. I'll continue squishing them and hope it has an effect. Just off to water and hunt on a beautiful morning, no sneaky cold wind for a change.
Monika
KG Regular

Are you sure they are daddylonglegs? I was surprised when you said you see them now because I always associate them with damp late summer evenings, but perhaps it's the "damp late summer evening" atmosphere in your polytunnel that has got them time-confused? Sorry I can't suggest a remedy.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I'm afraid that daddy long legs are my one completely irrational phobia (that and custard)...... just the thought of them. If there's one in a room I have to know where they are at all times. So I say squish them (sorry ... not overly helpful!! )

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic