Can anybody identify this spikes plant please?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Is it a garden plant or a weed? And does it have a flower? I keep spotting small versions growing in the le side gutters near here and wonder whether it's an escapee from a nearby garde. It looks rather similar to mares tails but I don't think it is. I have rescued a small plant from the gutter and planted it in knew of my borders as ai liked the structure but want to be reassured ai haven,t made a mistake for the longer term.

pq.jpg
pq.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
Monika
KG Regular

I think it's purple toadflax Linaria purpurea, Primrose. It flowers purplish blue and sometimes also pink and seeds itself all over the place, but the seedlings are easily removed.
peter
KG Regular

I have it in the corner of one of my plots, small purple flowers in think, haven't a clue what it is or how it got into my plot, unless via manure.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Monika. Yes I Googled it for some photos and it Is definitely Purple toadflax. I remember seeing it now in a nearby front garden so the seeds must have blown out into the road and germinated the layers of dirt which have built up in the gutter (You can tell street cleaning has long disappeared from round here in the government cutbacks!). Apparently the bees love it so I will enjoy having the odd plant in my garden and will pull up surplus plants if they proliferate too quickly.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You're lucky, I can't get it to grow in my garden .I've tried transplants and seeds. It doesn't grow in the wild locally either. It might be a bit too acidic for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic