Slugs and snails

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Emma
KG Regular

Your tips on keeping these at bay. Anyone tried squares of the copper matting you can get from Kings Seeds? Tony here at the office experimented with some squares of roofing felt but then found a snail sitting on it! It wasn't a particularly rough felt so we are thinking there is sharper we could get or even use a very coarse sandpaper? Particularly needing something as a barrier for newly planted veg. Copper tape seems expensive.
Westi
KG Regular

Read that article about the felt Emma and thought that could be an idea but also thought the little blighters would go under it & then up into the bed. Copper tape is indeed too cost prohibitive for a large patch, getting them drunk seems to attract the neighbours over to the party but when no room at the bar, they forget to go home, too scared to go down to lottie in the dark & find them so I use pellets, but only when they overdo their welcome. I've had a bit of luck with garlic spray, but not conclusive as I'm not that organised to do it regularly - oh I also forgot to sieve it before I put it in the bottle so clogged the nozzle! Whoops!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

We had a success with beer traps in Spain we used the dregs from tins after we had been visited by thirsty friends from a six feet x two feet planter we found around thirty dead snails and slugs in one go
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Copper tape worked best on the planters but I do not want to take a mortgage to put it around the raised beds. Beer was alright but a pain to manage if it rains... I tried pellets but they seemed to go mouldy so not sure about these. Salt was super effective but kills the grass if poured on it.
I am contemplating buying shares in a copper mine, and hope they pay dividends in kind :)
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

Good one Oscar! :) :)

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've found using nematodes in the warmer weather reduces the slug population well for larger areas but use pellets round newly planted seedlings and crops. It's just a running battle and there are so many that I catch lots with all the different methods, beer traps, planks of wood or anything flat they hide under and stamping on them - quite satisfying, night time slug hunts are the most productive and definitely reduce the numbers if you do several nights in the same week. Sheep wool or hair clippings work quite well round tender perennials like delphiniums. I've tried copper tape but not noticed much effect, but that might have been how I fixed it down.

It is really a problem of scale, you can keep a small area protected if you remove all hiding places put down barriers and pellets etc, but in a large garden most people don't have the time to be so vigilant and there are more hiding places. The type of soil you have also makes a big difference.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've found using nematodes in the warmer weather reduces the slug population well for larger areas but use pellets round newly planted seedlings and crops.

It is really a problem of scale, you can keep a small area protected if you remove all hiding places put down barriers and pellets etc, but in a large garden most people don't have the time to be so vigilant and there are more hiding places. The type of soil you have also makes a big difference.

And a problem of effective cost.

One large pack of Nemaslug treats 120sq yd and costs around £20 You are advised to repeat treatment every 6 weeks.
A full size plot is around 250sq yd so two packs needed in order to cover entire plot and potential slug hiding places

I did post previously when I was going to first try Nemaslug, my conclusion was that it was expensive and difficult to judge effectiveness. It certainly did not eradicate the problem.

Not for use when soil below 5 degrees, and I reckon the slugs know that and get their fill from the chilled salad bar as well :)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought a large pack of Nemaslug at a reduced price at the Harrogate spring show and I only make one application when the weather starts to warm up. It treated the whole potato bed and there was hardly any slug damage. There was a noticeable reduction of slugs in that bed for follow on crops for the rest of the year compared to other beds in that part of the garden. The bed is 16 ft x 25 ft. So I was pleased with the results. Like you say you have to think about whether it's worth the money in relation to the value of the crop.
robo
KG Regular

I tried nematodes 2years ago I was that annoyed at the lack of results that I sent an email complaining I was still annoyed when the free packet came in the post , I gave it away ,in my mind it is a waste of money
Gerry
KG Regular

I have found that Scotts Slug Clear is very good on ornamental, non edible, plants. But of course it must not be used on edible plants, or ground which is to be used for growing edible plants.

I had a thought that perhaps if I designated an area in my veg garden for a plant (like Hosta) which is particulary attractive to slugs and snails and waited until they had invaided it. Then use Slug Clear just on that plant, it might work well.

Any thoughts on this.

I have in the past contacted Scotts to ask how long, ground on which Slug Clear has been used, must be left before growing edibles on it. They advised one year.

Regards,
Gerry.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I mostly just have a few odd bits of plank or tiles, dotted around the allotment....these are checked regularly and the slugs and snails dispatched when found. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Found this cheeky snail on my garlic today...... I'm sure I read that snails and slugs didnt like them......
Attachments
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG (389.52 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
robo
KG Regular

Pawty ,at least it's breath might smell and lesson it's chances of getting a mate
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Most chefs cook them with garlic, early protein................................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pawty
KG Regular

I might apply for a patent- pre garlic flavoured snails! There must be a market for it......

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic