Moles! Moles! Moles!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Tony
KG Regular

I'm afraid my (large) garden which has open fields all around has been plagued with moles for years. I've tried different things to make them go away but nothing really has worked, and I don't have the heart to kill them. If anyone has any tricks that have REALLY REALLY worked, I'd love to know. In the meantime I make the most of it by using the mole-hill soil in my raised beds. Hence that well known proverb, every mole has a silver lining...have I got that right? :wink: (Tony, editorial aka Peter Radish)
peter
KG Regular

Jasper a carrot covered the subject in depth. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hi Peter
I back onto fields and sometimes get mole trouble. If its somewhere that's a real nuisance such as the lawn I push a stick down the centre of the molehills and then put a few drops of Jeyes Fluid down the hole. They almost always move on and don't come back. With luck they move to an area of rough grass or the chicken run where they are no trouble.
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Moles have become a complete menace since the ban on strychnine poison. I trapped 23 moles last year in a 3 acre orchard which adjoins a wood where the moles come from and I know of no deterrent that works. Anyone that discovers a reliable deterrent method would become very rich indeed. As soon as I see mole hills I'm out probing for their runs and setting my traps and when I trap one, experience has taught me to reset the trap as there is a strong chance you will get another customer. I always leave the traps for a fortnight before removing them, having checked them daily. If you want a real expert then John Finnemore is your man and although I prefer using the Duffus tunnel traps John is the real expert.

http://walcotefarm.fernhillsolutions.ne ... tching.htm

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

I've tried the Jeyes fluid with reasonable results to keep them away from the precious veg. I don't get loads so not an absolute problem, just learnt to stamp around to ensure the brassicas are still solid every time I pop down. Bought those bulb things you put in the corners before - total waste of money. I don't trap or kill as 20 rods doesn't support many moles but probably wouldn't anyway.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's scissor for me, Barney....funny how different people get on with different types.... an old boy, that i was very close to, but has sadly passed away, always used tunnel traps like yourself, Barney.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Poor things. What do you do with the scissors OH, stab them to death?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, i know it seems harsh and i do feel bad every time there is one in the trap but, i would rather catch one or two at an early stage, then have them breed and get over-run with them. This used to happen every year when i first took on my allotment, but i now just catch a few each year. The main problem is, there are grass fields that are next to the allotments and these always have a lot of moles in, so the rich, earthworm filled soil of the allotments, must be like a banqueting hall to them.
I was on about scissor traps, by the way.

robo
KG Regular

I had visions of you running up and down snipping moles in half O H , my green fingerd wife attacks slugs and snails the same way she's very often seen running around the plot shouting "that's another one gone" while waving a pair of scissors in the air
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My running days seem a distant memory, Robo.....sounds as if your wife would get on well on our allotments.... :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic