Sterilising secateurs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

I have just been watching lots of videos on YouTube etc regarding pruning fruit trees.

I was fascinated to see that many experts sterilise their pruning equipment using a spray whenver they moved from one tree to another.

However, I can't find out what that spray might be. Have you any idea?

Does anybody, for example, use citrox on their secateurs?

Where possible, I'm looking for a one-off spray, just like the man on the video was using, rather than having to soak the secateurs in something.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

My 1st choice is Jeyes disinfectant.

Sometimes use methylated spirit

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Beryl
KG Regular

I had a spray can of Dettol in the shed and used that but don't know if it is really as strong as Jeyes.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Barry, they were probably using, HortiseptPro, they used to sell it on ebay in small amounts, but i don't think it came in a hand sprayer.....but these are cheap enough to purchase.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks OH. found it on Amazon. Good review to.

Beryl.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hortisept-Pro- ... B00A6T04V0
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Beryl, that's a very good price too, as it is a concentrate and not already diluted. It can be used for many garden items, trays and potting benches, that sort of thing.

Beryl
KG Regular

Already added to my Amazon list - many thanks OH

Beryl.
Geoff
KG Regular

The manufacturers have a few interesting products http://www.grogardenproducts.com/epages ... emicals%22 they sell on eBay as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hortisept-Pro ... bwGF7hQ88A
They are neighbours of Northern Polytunnels but I don't know if they are related.
Barry
KG Regular

Thanks for all this feedback.

There definitely seems to be a gap in the market here that manufacturers are not seeing! A small aerosol, rather than a concentrate, aimed specifically at sterilising secateurs doesn't seem to be available, yet logically is needed.

If you are pruning lots of trees and bushes, it would make life significantly easier, but owning huge amounts of concentrate simply means having to splash out money then finding a quick and efficient way of delivering the product on the blades.

Or am I wrong?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

They did use to do it in a ready to use hand held sprayer.....maybe the are now aiming more for the professional market....like with most of the insecticides and fungicides...

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Largest percentage part of disinfectant /sterilizer products is likely to be water.
It is therefore cheaper to buy a concentrate and dilute yourself.

The spray part that seems so important to your requirements is simply achieved with a cheap spray bottle.
Its not as if it needs to be compressed air or gas propelled.

Or am I over simplifying it and missing a point.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They are disinfecting rather than sterilising the tools and a wipe with a cloth soaked in meths, jeyes fluid, detol etc will reduce the spread of a wide range of things, but not all. If you have plenty on the cloth you shouldn't be spreading any disease from one thing to another.
There is plenty of information on the Web if you have a look.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic